Defects on CIEM acrylic shells
Aug 31, 2020 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hd101

New Head-Fier
I have recently received my first pair of CIEMs that I really enjoy and baby a lot. I guess this is why I must ask this question: would you expect the acrylic shells to be flawless on a brand new CIEM? I only received it a few days ago and have just noticed that there is a slight mark (like a white spot) on the CIEMs. I guess being new to CIEMs I wanted the whole shell to be immaculate, but seeing as they're hand crafted I guess some imperfections on the shells are to be expected. Would a slight flaw in the shell bother you at all?

I am tempted to raise this issue with the manufacturer but at the same time I feel like I am being really picky.

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 6
If it bothered you let them know!

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 6
I have a few CIEMs and they all had some type of left over scruff or scratches from being hand buffed at the manufactures shop. I go transparent colors so if it happens I don't notice it. Just know sometimes the manufacturer will attempt to polish out the defect or make new units. A single new unit may not be the exact fit as the one you sent back to be repaired. CIEMs are usually hand polished and buffed after being 3d printed. I had a set that fit perfectly and complained about the looks and it ended up taking 2-3 months of trial and error to get new ones that fit as well as the first set. This won't always happen but after that I just deal with any slight imperfections if they fit right on the first attempt. If they're willing to send you a new single monitor instead of making you ship the old one back then I'd try that. At least then if the fit isn't as good as the first one you can always send the new shell back and keep the original. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 6
I have a few CIEMs and they all had some type of left over scruff or scratches from being hand buffed at the manufactures shop. I go transparent colors so if it happens I don't notice it. Just know sometimes the manufacturer will attempt to polish out the defect or make new units. A single new unit may not be the exact fit as the one you sent back to be repaired. CIEMs are usually hand polished and buffed after being 3d printed. I had a set that fit perfectly and complained about the looks and it ended up taking 2-3 months of trial and error to get new ones that fit as well as the first set. This won't always happen but after that I just deal with any slight imperfections if they fit right on the first attempt. If they're willing to send you a new single monitor instead of making you ship the old one back then I'd try that. At least then if the fit isn't as good as the first one you can always send the new shell back and keep the original. Hope that helps!
It's so unfortunate that it happened to all of yours. I guess this is a lot more common than I thought it was. I am a bit reluctant to send the CIEMs back, it is only a minor mark so I am still debating on what to do with it. Maybe I am asking for too much but I just expected it to be immaculate when I receive a new CIEM. It seems like this is one of those things we just have to live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back