Defective T1's?
Jan 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #17 of 31
Amazon was great. I received my money back. Just not a 1,400 headphone in my opinion.. It did some things great, but overall, not 1,000 better then my 701/DT48. I still have not given up hope on Hi end headphones.. I have my eye on the HD800/HE500/.. And Maybe the Fostex headphone.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 31
It could be a hair. Try removing the ear pad and using tape or a lint roller to remove any hairs from the pad and the felt covering the driver.

Also, grab a sine sweep or some low-frequency tones and see if you can pinpoint certain frequencies that cause it which might help you track it down. There are some on this site: http://www.audiocheck.net/

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:
Amazon was great. I received my money back. Just not a 1,400 headphone in my opinion.. It did some things great, but overall, not 1,000 better then my 701/DT48. I still have not given up hope on Hi end headphones.. I have my eye on the HD800/HE500/.. And Maybe the Fostex headphone.

They often go for ~1000, but I wouldn't pay 1400 for the T1 either though. At that price they could have used better earpads materials than the terrible velour that sucks up dust more than a friggin vacuum. At least they come with a nice case. 

You cannot judge a headphone based on sound quality alone IMO. Sure the T1 doesn't sound 4x better than the Q701/K701, but really are 4x more comfortable. The T1 is the first headphone ever to not hurt the very sensitive top of my head after ~4hr of usage (best was D7000 with 3hr, all others failed after 1.5-2hr), I couldn't stand the Q701 for more than 1.5hr. That alone was worth 400 bucks for me. The other 400 went into the improvements in sound quality and packaging (The Q701 is cheaply packed, nothing like K701/2), I feel it makes sense.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #20 of 31
I know. I don't expect the T1's to sound 4X's better.. They just don't sound like 1,400 headphones..800-,1000 seems more fair. I prefered the T1's to the 701/DT48 overall... I will get the HD800/HE500/ or Fostex 900.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #21 of 31
Most headphones only sound as good as ~80% of their asking price. Moral of the story: don't pay retail.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #22 of 31
i am sitting here waiting for the postwoman to show up with my T1s, which have new drivers. the beyer repair place was fantastic, a guy named Peter C. is the head of the service dept and was incredibly helpful. he also turned them around in a day!

now i will have to suffer through the break-in. as i broke in a pair of t70's i know what to expect to a degree. ugh. but i'm also praying for mo' better bass, as the pair i had seemed quite lacking in that area. there have been posts of variances from pair to pair, so i'm holding out hope.  not just that it didn't go as low as the hd800, but the impact (which so many have reported as being greater than the hd800) was pretty weak also. "ok", but nothing better than "ok". could be an amp synergy thing but it'll be the 1st can that i've had (besides the he-6 which needed my power amp) that the rsa hr2 couldn't kick some bass through. also the grantfidelity tubedac-11 with a bunch of tubes that are great bass producers. so i'm hoping at least 1 of these amps drives more bass outta these guys. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #23 of 31
T1s with replaced drivers arrived this afternoon. no more distortion. more bass presense than the old drivers. they sound amazing. i do NOT wanna hear somebody suggest that the bass will lesson in impact with break-in. too many people have reported impactful bass from T1s, and too many people have reported differences from one pair to another, for me to think it's gonna disappear. if i'm wrong i will sell them. as of now I'm in heaven between these and the hd800's I also just got.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #24 of 31
I may probably get a HD800 some time down the road, but I don't think I can deal with any less bass than the T1 has either, considering I'm coming from Denon cans...Instrument separation and sound staging on the T1 is superb though, it really feels like the sound is coming from outside of my head. None of my Denons can touch this.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #25 of 31
the bass on the hd800 goes deeper than the T1. although my new T1 drivers are delivering nicely the punch that others have referred to ( numerous posts have said "deeper sub bass on the hd800 but more punch on the T1"). i dunno - the HD800's deeper bass is "more bass" to my ear. the hd800 on my rig have a LOT of bass (though without being bass heavy like an edition 9 or my beloved grado PS1s).  

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:
the bass on the hd800 goes deeper than the T1. although my new T1 drivers are delivering nicely the punch that others have referred to ( numerous posts have said "deeper sub bass on the hd800 but more punch on the T1"). i dunno - the HD800's deeper bass is "more bass" to my ear. the hd800 on my rig have a LOT of bass (though without being bass heavy like an edition 9 or my beloved grado PS1s).  

Guess you liked HD800 better in the end as I see these for sale.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #27 of 31
I actually LOVE the T1's, but I still love Grado RS1i's with flat pads more for anything that rocks out a lot. I found on rock recordings where I liked the transparency/detail etc. of the T1, that the HD800 are superb in similar ways and deliver pretty much everything plus some sub bass that I got from the T1 (for those albums). For the other stuff there are more moments for me where the fact that the RS1i colors the sound works to my great benefit in that it renders lousy recordings enjoyable. And sometimes I simply want what to my ear is that grado goodness (so reminiscent of the sound I grew up on: 60's JBLs driven by a Fisher receiver w/telfunkens). So I decided to use the combination of the HD800 and the RS1i's, with an Amperior for moments that I need isolation or poratability, to see me through my 60's and allow me to revisit the 60's at the same time! In a perfect world I would be able to afford to keep all three (T1, HD800 and RS1i). I would also try the 2 and 3 thousand dollar cans which I am ignoring. I would also deliver world peace and contentment, especially to all the lil children.... 

I also found that the grado with bowls, which my stepson loves (he hates the flats), are way more like the sig of the T1's than the flats. I loaned my Senn HD580 to him and he also loved those, so I am convinced that when he comes around this week and tries the T1 he will want them over the RS1i w/bowls.They will give him what he likes in the 580 times 10, and they deliver SO much more refinement: transparency,soundstage, imaging which brings details out more than the RS1i that I am willing to bet lunch that his jaw is gonna drop. He can't afford 2 expensive cans, and the T1 is a KILLER all arounder! They almost make me able to forgo the Grados.

If I'm wrong - then I will buy him lunch and he gets to keep my RS1i's. I will then sell the T1 and buy an RS1i and the Amperior. Otherwise he gets the T1 and only has to buy me an amperior when he can (which means it'll be 8 weeks or so before I'd get those). This I can live with. Boy is he lucky that his stepsis only wants her Amperiors for now...

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 31
So, is it just me or is the bass... a little unnatural?

I feel that there is there air of reticence about the bass that makes it seem like notes on the lower end of the spectrum seem... not as wholesome as I feel it should be.

Like on this song 

The bass thump in the first 15 seconds (and throughout the whole song as well) kinda sounds like me slapping body of my laptop, except at a lower octave.

On the HE-500 which I just sold, that same beat sounded a lot more wholesome. Heck, even on the on the grados they sound more wholesome.

This is really starting to bug me.

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #30 of 31
I too have the problems with my T1, firstly it was a defective left driver, having some buzzing at a low end frequency when it is also above some decibel.

After sending to Germany for inspection, not too long after, the jack start to have problems and causes the right driver to lost sound intermittently.

Seriously, my expectation of T1 quality has dropped, at least I was expecting there would be trouble free after the first inspection. I also have rarely use it and only clock it around 50 hours on them.

Guys, are the Beyerdynamic quality control dropping over the years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back