Defective CD's Produced from the Manufactuer or Player Problems? Help Needed...
Jan 16, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, here's the situation: One of my favorite albums called Frances the Mute from the band The Mars Volta has these strange popping, choppy sounds on two of the tracks. At the beggining and end of track 4 and all throughout track 9 you can hear them clear as a bell. It kind of sounds like a quick "ch" sound.

Well, of course being an audiophile these sounds are quite annoying. Thinking the album was defective I sent it back, only to get another album and discover my replacement did the same thing.

Frustrated, I posted my findings on a site full of fans only to find this was a common complaint. Now, I really, REALLY don't think these noises are meant to be there. It just doesn't make sense. For one thing, there are people who've said the sounds aren't on the vinyl versions.

So, my question is: What could the problem be?

Is this disc errors from the manufacturer that most players aren't correcting? Or is the only answer that the sounds were placed on the album on purpose by the band? Is there some other answer?

Here's a link to a track that has the noises. - It gets really bad between 3:00-4:00 - It's heard best with headphones too.

Here's the thread where the problem's discussed

Hopefully someone here might can come up with an answer...

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 17
It's probably hot mastering. If you have an audio editing program bring the track into it and look at the waveform. Are the tops of the peaks chopped off flat? If so, blame the engineer who mastered the album.

See ya
Steve

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
It's probably hot mastering. If you have an audio editing program bring the track into it and look at the waveform. Are the tops of the peaks chopped off flat? If so, blame the engineer who mastered the album.

See ya
Steve

This is like gibberish to me. I wish knew more about the technical aspects of this stuff.
frown.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 17
Pressing error, doesn't sound like a mastering error to me. That said it kinda fits in perfectly with the avantgrade electronica music.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Pressing error, doesn't sound like a mastering error to me. That said it kinda fits in perfectly with the avantgrade electronica music.
biggrin.gif

Well, you can't fit The Mars Volta into any one genre, but during their soundscape excurtions they're more Pink Floyd ambient type sounds than electronica.

The thing that makes me think it wasn't put there on purpose is on its first appearance during the song Miranda, That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore (great title, no?
biggrin.gif
), the song starts out building on just this really ambient, foggy, feedback sound with this "howling" in the background (obviously their singer). So why would you work so hard to set the mood for the song and then ruin it with these popping sounds? And even listen to the track I posted, it already has the bass player playing a repeated riff and the guitarist wailing away with his effects pedal on, why would you want the audience distracted?

So yeah, I very much suspect that it's a pressing error. But if it's a pressing error, would any CD players be able to correct it? And would it be on all every single disc? But yeah, if it's not on the vinyl copies it couldn't be a mastering error...

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 17
Try to get another version of the album, a Eurpean edition or a Japaneese one maybe has no problems...

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Try to get another version of the album, a Eurpean edition or a Japaneese one maybe has no problems...

That's an excellent idea! Thanks. Can't believe I never thought of it. Better yet, I could just ask someone on the MV forums who has one... of course, I wonder if everyone on there has as discerning and ear as I do...).

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
That's an excellent idea! Thanks. Can't believe I never thought of it. Better yet, I could just ask someone on the MV forums who has one... of course, I wonder if everyone on there has as discerning and ear as I do...).

I had the same problem several times there are also a website that will tell you which is the best version, qualoty talking (IIRC Steve Hoffman's site)

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 17
I was joking about it belonging there
frown.gif
And yeah it's genre is avantgrade.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I was joking about it belonging there
frown.gif
And yeah it's genre is avantgrade.

Considering the band I really wouldn't be surprised if they put it there on purpose. They seem to take some kind of weird pleasure in alienating fans.
blink.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 17
Depends on your fault.

I've never replaced CDs from hearing glitches in the music (could be pressing or recording errors).

However physical errors I just recently asked the local mobile fidelity distributor to replace one of my CDs, and they gladly offered to send a replacement.

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 17
Jan 18, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 17
You would have to be deaf not to notice that... With the detail of that music (not loud loud guitar or heavy drum beats etc.) it really does stick out and I would agree, it does kind of ruin the recording although when there isn't popping etc. it is pretty good in my oppinion.

Hopefully they will release an updated version at a later date to satisfy their fans.

Jan 19, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by THeX
Depends on your fault.

I've never replaced CDs from hearing glitches in the music (could be pressing or recording errors).

However physical errors I just recently asked the local mobile fidelity distributor to replace one of my CDs, and they gladly offered to send a replacement.

Yeah, I got a replacement and the noises were still there. So that has me believing that the noises are either on there from either a pressing error or they're intentionally on there because of the band (in which case there's nothing I can do but hope they release a remaster and fix it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back