Default foobar2000 visualization over bass heavy?
Sep 19, 2006 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Redo

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone else notice the foobar2000 visualization showing the bass waaay to bass heavy? Is there a way to combat this and have it display a more accurate display?

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 7
It's actually not inaccurate, remember that the majority of musical information is in the 100hz to 2khz region, with vocals sitting on the low side of that. Extremely high notes on musical instruments stretch to maybe 5khz. That means the rest of the vis is occupied by the other 15,000 hz.

There used to be an option I think to change the gradient, right now the only one I see is hsv clockwise/counterclockwize, and rgb, and all they do is control how the vis calculates the color values.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo
Does anyone else notice the foobar2000 visualization showing the bass waaay to bass heavy? Is there a way to combat this and have it display a more accurate display?

That's exacly what I said to myself the 1st time I saw it. It;s because the visualiation is a linear verticle scale, not logrithamic. You hear sound in a 'log scale. If the verticle axis were to be a log scale, it would be nicely evened out.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

I very much understand now, makes perfect sense. I wonder why they decided to do a linear chart, I've never really seen it done this way before.

WinAmp does -- or did, I haven't used it in ages -- the same.

Sep 22, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I very much understand now, makes perfect sense. I wonder why they decided to do a linear chart, I've never really seen it done this way before.

After spending a few days with this, I'm 100% convinced that not only the y-axis is linear but the frequency x-axis is as well. Almost like the programmers of it don't know 'audio' and that we hear on a log scale in both amplitude and frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back