Deep Purple - "Definitive" Recordings (Mk. I & II)
Feb 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
Gearing up for CanJam, I've pulled out all of my "reference" material - Gold CDs, MFSL and Hoffman remasters, etc. and I dragged out a disk I had managed to forget about: Who Do We Think We Are?, the final Gillan album if you don't factor in reunions. This is an Audio Fidelity gold CD remastered by Steve Hoffman (a happy coincidence, as I would have had no familiarity with Hoffman's work since I bought this prior to my Head-Fi inauguration) and it is absolutely sublime.

Revisiting the album, it has rekindled my love for Mk. I- and Mk. II- (Rod Evans/Ian Gillan) era Purple and I was wondering about the best versions of the I/II discography - on CD/SACD/HDCD - available. While I'm most interested in the studio albums released between 1968 and 1973 (Shades of Deep Purple, The Book of Taliesyn, Deep Purple, Deep Purple in Rock, Fireball, Machine Head), I am also curious about some of their other output, most notably the Concerto for Group and Orchestra as conducted by the late Sir Malcolm Arnold and of course, Made in Japan.

This era of Deep Purple is particularly special to me, as the superlative organ work of John Lord is at it's best here (IMO) and I'm a big fan of the vocals of Rod Evans and especially "Jesus" himself - Ian Gillan. With that said, I'm fully prepared to bide my time and spend the cash hunting down the best versions available.

If anyone has any insight here at all, I would very much appreciate it. CD and SACD (if even an option) are the only formats I'm interested in, as I have most of these albums on vinyl already. Thanks in advance!

~GV

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 3
If you want a cd set that encapsulates most everything that Deep Purple did from 68-76 i'd track down the Listen,Learn,Read on 5 cd boxed set[it's an expensive import but well worth the cost imho].

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 3
I go way back to listening to Deep Purple under the covers at night at boarding school circa 1975.
I just picked up the Remaster CD of Live in Japan in mini LP format.
Worth every penny.
Now I just have to find a copy of In Rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back