Dedicated music server Laptop
Jul 5, 2015 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dcfis

100+ Head-Fier
Wondering what the best build is with current products is. At first I was going to get a cheap i5 with whatever HD and switch it out for a Samsung SSD but this looks like it could also work too
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-C55-C5240-Laptop-Intel/dp/B00VFY8LY2/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Wondering if I need all that processing and RAM or if I should just go something like a i5 and 4gb with that Samsung SSD. Im going to use it for dbPoweramp to USB dac for phones and either USB dac to pre amp or stream to HiFi system. Thanks guys

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 5
You can get an Android MiniPC, configure it as a headless audio server with your smartphone as a remote (if you have a desktop computer then the monitor's free, you only need it for first time set-up). The miniPC can be as cheap as $150 (maybe less) for the ones that have the chassis that looks like the MacMini. There are smaller miniPCs but they too small and in some cases may require some DIY on the hardware. Just add an external HDD and you're good to go; if you have an existing NAS at home then just use an app that can access through LAN.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 5
You don't need a powerful machine as a dedicated music server. I wouldn't even worry about getting an SSD, except that it will make initial startup of the machine and starting your music app faster. So if you'd rather save the money, go for a Core i3.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks yall. Interesting on the android mini pc can it run full db poweramp?

As long as it's an Android app, then the only thing left is how to get it to work "headless." Some apps like MediaMonkey have their own MonkeyMote app, but if you set it up properly then there should be no need for dedicated apps like this (this one was designed to remote control a WindowsPC running MediaMonkey).

Just Google 'headless audio server Android" and you can find tons of tutorials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back