Dedicated Head+Preamp vs. Compass
Apr 27, 2009 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kurotetsu

Head-Fier
Finally put my audio upgrade plan into motion by ordering the ATH-AD700 headphones yesterday.

My question today has to do with my next step.

Right now I use the Zero has my DAC, headphone amp and preamp. From lurking the forums, I've read alot people getting positive results from getting a dedicated head+preamp and using the Zero strictly as a DAC. I'm considering doing the same thing, I've been looking at the Little Dot Mk.III specifically.

Then I started reading up on the Audio-gd Compass. In particular, I'd heard its headamp (and presumably preamp) section was much improved over the Zero. I can appreciate the benefits of having everything consolidated into one unit and, after reading the through thread and seeing all the feedback that went into it, I want to support it if I can.

So my question is, what would be the most cost effective solution? Add a dedicated head+preamp to my Zero, or get the Audio-gd Compass and replace the Zero altogether?

My budget is about $250 (excluding shipping).

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Anyone?

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 4
I can't comment on the amplifier side of things, but everyone seems to feel the Compass is hugely better than the Zero. But as a source(DAC), the Compass knocks spots off the Zero in a big way. I'd imagine it would be a good buy, and one that you can choose to upgrade from in the future with either a better amplifier or better DAC, whilst retaining full use of the other side of the Compass.

~Phewl.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Would add, unlike the Zero, the Compass amplifier is a dedicated complete amplifier. The fact it's in the same box with the DAC seems to really confuse people and no matter how many times people explain, it's modular design, Amp completel separated from DAC on separate PCBs, people still don't understand.

Good luck with your choices, but for $258 can't go wrong. As Phewl said, if you upgrade to other components can still use Compass a Pre-Amp. I use the Compass as DAC/Amp for my headphones and use it as DAC for speaker setup. 1 button press with Bypass I can instantaneously switch between headphones and speakers, the ease of use is satisfying.

But would suggest, if you are looking at the MKIII, maybe you should consider the Hybrid MiniMax also?

Good luck deciding among the various other choices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back