Dedicated Descrete Amp for 200$?
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BifePlays

New Head-Fier
Hey there! Not sure if this is the right subforum to ask, but here it goes.

I'm looking for a descrete amp to pair with my Audient ID4 Mk II Audio Interface. My budget is 200 USD tops. The reason I want an external amp is the output impedance of the Headphone amp present on the Audient - 22 ohms seems too high for my K712 Pro and any future purchases I might have.

I will be connecting the amp via the balanced L/R outputs behind the audio interface.

As far as sound goes, I'm thinking something very basic. Fast, detailed, not looking for coloured sound - no need for any extra warmth, mid range boost or anything like that. Balanced outputs isn't a must, as I'm afraid my k712 pro wouldn't benefit from that. However, as I constantly game, I would definitely want a decent sized Soundstage and good imaging - competitive games play a good part on my day.

I had a look and Schiit's new Magnius looked like a good choice, but I am sceptical as I heard it's Soundstage and imaging isn't great. Any thoughts?

TL,DR:

• Looking for: Discrete Amp
  • Budget - 200USD
  • Source - Audient iD4 Mk II Balanced Line Outputs
  • Preferred tonal balance - Fast, Crisp, detailed, open soundspace and good imaging
  • Usage - Mostly gaming, light music listening
  • What would you like to improve on from your set-up - I need to get a lower headphone output impedance (Audient's 22ohms is pretty high) to use both balanced and unbalanced headphones (Currently using an AKG K712, might buy lower impedance closed back cans in the future)
  • Contenders: Schiit Magnius

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 3
So far as I can tell the Audient ID4 MKII line-output (RCA) jacks are un-balanced (not balanced) output, but not a big deal.
The AKG K700 series headphones have a very wide sound stage (music), those headphone seem to be popular with gamers, so also a wide surround sound (gaming)?
I'm not sure a headphone amplifier itself, effects the sound stage (imaging) that much, if any (best guess)?
You could go with a balanced DAC and balanced headphone amplifier, but your K712 is not designed to work with a balanced headphone cable.
Me, I would have no problem buying the Schiit Magnius, will work with both balanced and un-balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back