Dedicated Computer Specs - HIGH END
Nov 5, 2004 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
So I am putting together a new computer exclusively to run iTunes and perform as a music server.

I will run USB into a Steve Nugent modded Transit/with Superclock mod and from there S/PDIF via AES/EBU into a Burmester DAC.

These are the specs I am considering...and then I have to find somebody to build it. ANYONE care to suggest where I might do better (particulary quieter)????:

Computer Specifications

Case
Lian Li Silver Aluminum Mid-Tower Model PC-6070A……Newegg $159
This is the Lian Li Quiet Tower

Power Supply
ATX Zalman PSU 400W (ZM400B-APS) ….www.quietpcusa.com $100

Motherboard
Intel D925XCVLK … $195.00
Asus P5SDA Deluxe…$215
HELP IS NEEDED HERE

CPU
Intel Boxed (Prescott) Pentium 4 2.40AGHz/ 533MHZ/FSB 1 MB
(BX80546PG2400E) 1024KB Cache Memory …Compuplus.com $124 / Replacement Zalman Fans…..$75
I AM GUESSING AS TO WHAT FAN MODS I MIGHT NEED

RAM
1 Gig

Hard Drives
Seagate Barracuda 30GB/7200/2MB/ATA-100/EIDE …wwwtigerdirect.com $60
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 - 7200 SATA 8MB Cache 8.5MS 3.5 inch …Securemart.com $129
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 - 7200 SATA 8MB Cache 8.5MS 3.5 inch …Securemart.com $129
Note: Look into support for Native Command Queuing
Raid 0

I will use the 30GB for the operating system and iTunes and the 2 x 200s for the music files (Lossless)

CD Transport
Plextor PX-721A 8 in 1 DVD+R/RW Drive, Model PX-712A …Newegg $99
IS THIS OVERKILL ?

Approximate Budget:

Case $159
PSU$100
Motherboard$215
CPU$124
Hard Drive$129
Hard Drive$129
Hard Drive$ 60
Replacement Fans$75
Plextor Writer$99
Operating System$90
Wiring$20

Parts Total$1200

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 78
To make it nearly dead silent, go with water cooling rather than fan-based cooling. It can be a bit complicated to set up, but oh man is it worth it after it's done!!
biggrin.gif

Also, definitely go with something a lot cooler than the Prescott such as the Northwood or the Athlon64. The Prescott is a freaking hot CPU and you don't want to try to mix Prescott+quiet or it may = dead CPU.

If you really need help deciding components, I could make up my own version of that list based on your needs, and see if you like that better (if you want).

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 78
If you're building a silent PC go with the Northwood instead of the Prescott (the Northwood runs much cooler, consumes less power, and is faster (at the same clock) than the Prescott), or, better yet, get an AMD Athlon64.

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 78
Can you tell me which Athlon 64 and what motherboard I would need to use with it?

And YES to ANY suggestions on how to make this a better system. Also, if anyone knows a talented (and reasonably priced builder)

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
Suggestion:
HDD - Maxtor MaxLine III 16MB cache 300GB
orphsmile.gif

Not for silent computing, Samsung or Seagate are the only way to go.

Also, check out www.silentpcreview.com for some hardware reccomendations (plus they have some forums too).

Nov 5, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Not for silent computing, Samsung or Seagate are the only way to go.

Also, check out www.silentpcreview.com for some hardware reccomendations (plus they have some forums too).

I agree.
But the maxline III is not bad though in noise and it has class leading performance.
Quote:

Originally Posted by storagereview
At idle, the MaXLine III delivers quiet operation- with a mark of just 41.2 dB/A at a distance of 18 millimeters, the Maxtor delivers a noise floor as low as the quietest of the competition. Subjectively, seeks are well muted. The drive remains quite unobtrusive by any measure.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
To make it nearly dead silent, go with water cooling rather than fan-based cooling. It can be a bit complicated to set up, but oh man is it worth it after it's done!!
biggrin.gif

Also, definitely go with something a lot cooler than the Prescott such as the Northwood or the Athlon64. The Prescott is a freaking hot CPU and you don't want to try to mix Prescott+quiet or it may = dead CPU.

If you really need help deciding components, I could make up my own version of that list based on your needs, and see if you like that better (if you want).

So you're telling him to go watercooling and then saying that the CPU is too hot. Sounds like you need a lesson in efficient Air Cooling.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 78
Why Itunes vs other lossless formats?

Generally speaking, aluminum cases are more noisy than steel, and contrary to what people have heard they do not conduct heat as well as steel. Aluminum resonates vibrations too easily. I have a case from Lian Li, although it was not advertised as a quiet case. Good thing too, since it is anything but quiet and loudest case I have ever owned.

For a full size system try the Antec Sonata. It is still hard to beat for making a quiet PC. Still rated as one of the most silent, and with minor mods dead quiet.

Be careful about water cooling. The pumps can be fairly loud and harder to silence.

In terms of power, try a power supply from PC Power And Cooling. Get one of their quiet models. Not only is it likely to be quieter than the Zalman, it is a better quality power supply minimizing electrical noise and allowing components to run cooler (with lower fan noise). Of course, on the high end there are fanless power supplies (do a google search), but the last time I checked they were a couple of hundred bucks.

I second the opinions on the Prescott, and although it is overkill for playing music, go with the Athlon 64. For music, any lowly 2ghz CPU will rarely go aboved 5-10% playing music, including the overhead to uncompress the music from lossless formats and then performing upsampling and equalization. In fact, the average CPU usage for this lowly CPU is likey to be 2-4% for these functions. Ripping CDs is also not a challenge and could easily be done while playing music and not push a 2ghz beyond 25%.

Most motherboards are fine since you don't need a lot of bandwidth for music, but I have heard a lot folks have different kinds of problems with the VIA chipsets, so I would stay away from the motherboards using VIA.

1 Gig memory is not of benefit for playing music, but do get at least 512.

The Seagates are good drives, but you are paying too much for the 30gb. Find a good sale at Compusa. Last weekend the 160gb drive was about the same $60. The SATA drives are fine, but SATA is also overkill for music. Even uncompressed music will not need the throughput of even at 5400 RPM IDE drive. Also, check on the Samsung drives. Some folks claim they are quiet too. I have not complaints with my Seagate, but in a Sonata case you can pretty much use anything.

Consider the Plextor CD-R drive that comes with the Pro tools which will give you DAE. A Plextor program that is very fast at ripping music from CDs. It is $120, and does not read DVDs, but if music is your thing and you want the best it is the way to go.

Don't skimp on fans and do some research on quiet fans. Quite a few out there, and one source is PC Power & Cooling. However, with the Antec case (which comes with a very quiet case fan), you probably won't need an extra case fan at all. Be sure to get a CPU fan that you can control the speed. Do some testing and lower the RPMs to a speed that matches the load. If this is dedicated to music you should be able to run it fairly slow and quiet.

For video, stay away from hiperformance cards that have loud fans.

Consider adding a USB hub so that you can get the maxiumum distance between the PC and stereo to minimize RF. Last time I checked the port from a PC could only drive about 8', but a powered port from a hub was 15'.

Don't forget to add a monitor (perhaps an LCD?), and perhaps a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse for remote control.

You might want to check silentpcreview.com for other ideas.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
I agree.
But the maxline III is not bad though in noise and it has class leading performance.

You're trying to get the best of both worlds and that is extremely hard.

You can either have performance or silence. Seagate is a good balance of the too.But in general either go for one or the other.

mbratub:
All in all i think you system in OK. You didn't really state what you're trying to achieve other than a server. ie. overall performance, overall silence, or just hi-fi sound.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
Can you tell me which Athlon 64 and what motherboard I would need to use with it?

And YES to ANY suggestions on how to make this a better system. Also, if anyone knows a talented (and reasonably priced builder)

I'd recommend a pentium M. It's cheaper than the opteron EE, but better performing, and runs just as cool. It can be had for $209.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I'd recommend a pentium M. It's cheaper than the opteron EE, but better performing, and runs just as cool. It can be had for $209.

I don't know why you would need all that power for what is strictly a music server. Doesn't make sense to blow $209 on a CPU when you should just get better audio equipement.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 78
If you want a decent performing computer and want it to run quiet, its either that or an underclocked athlon XP-M 2500+, you may not even need a fan for either if you have a really good heatsink, and one 5" case fan.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
If you want a decent performing computer and want it to run quiet, its either that or an underclocked athlon XP-M 2500+, you may not even need a fan for either if you have a really good heatsink, and one 5" case fan.

I totally agree, underclocking gives great results. Low noise with minimal heat increase.

Nov 5, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by llmobll
I totally agree, underclocking gives great results. Low noise with minimal heat increase.

I'd prefer a 1.7Ghz dothan, though, it runs cool at full speed, is much faster stock than the 2500+, and supports more modern peripherals. If you ever wanted a gaming maching, pop a really nice cooler on it, and overclock it to hell, and it outperforms even the FX-55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back