Dedicated amp for headphones
Sep 20, 2005 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Inter

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all
smily_headphones1.gif

Today I bought myself the older version of the Beyerdynamic DT990 after reading the excellent comparison thread in the Headphones forum. I had first planned to just use my Denon AVS-2105 cinema receiver for the music source (it takes its music source from my Audigy card in my computer) but then I remembered that I have this: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/...rintreview.htm lying around. So, I was wondering if anyone here knows how this Marantz amp perform in the headphone output department? Should I consider getting a dedicated amp, or will the Marantz be up for the job?

Also, quick cable question. Should I replace the cable that comes with the 990 with something else?

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
Hello all
smily_headphones1.gif

Today I bought myself the older version of the Beyerdynamic DT990 after reading the excellent comparison thread in the Headphones forum. I had first planned to just use my Denon AVS-2105 cinema receiver for the music source (it takes its music source from my Audigy card in my computer) but then I remembered that I have this: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/...rintreview.htm lying around. So, I was wondering if anyone here knows how this Marantz amp perform in the headphone output department? Should I consider getting a dedicated amp, or will the Marantz be up for the job?

Also, quick cable question. Should I replace the cable that comes with the 990 with something else?

Looks interesting. May use impedance work-up to utilize the amps output circuit for headphones instead of just an opamp output like in some CD players.

Maybe somebody who uses it can comment. Cable upgrade will help but there are many cable scams out there - watch out for pricey cables that perform only as good as less expensive ones. Look at the cable forum for advice.

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

May use impedance work-up to utilize the amps output circuit for headphones instead of just an opamp output like in some CD players.

I'm a bit of a newbie so I have absolutely no idea what you meant by this. Want to explain?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll check the cable forum for some advice on the cabling, but I would love some advice from any Marantz owner about the headphone output on the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back