Decware
Jun 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 18
I think highly of the Decware CSP-2. I have a review of it here on head-fi in the review section.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 18
Well I went to Decware and got audition. I purchased The Decware mini Torii and Dm945 speakers. Steve is a very knowledgeable guy. So I decided to just make this a package and bought his cables and power cord they were a reasonable price and he would have done all the testing.
I'm in Toronto Canada. I was not ready for the sticker shock I got. I received 4 boxes in the mail all on different days. First was the speakers, each came with a duty charge of $71.18. Next was the cables and tubes it came with a duty charge of $68.88. Then the Amp came, it had a duty charge of $195.60.So in the end I paid an extra $406.84. So much for the wise buying I thought I had made. I have just received it, set it up but owners manual leaves something to be desired. I will call Steve and I'm sure he will have the answers. Currently the thing I'm going to remember about this deal is most definitely is the sticker Shock I got. Once I get the unit up and running I hope I will remember this deal for the great sound I'm expecting.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 18
I don't fully get the story. is Decware you went in Toronto? is Steve a dealer? if the answer to both is yes, and you bought the cables, tubes, and the rest from him, how the heck did you have to pay duty? something is not right. that is bloody extortion!  

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 18
Sounds like he went to visit Decware in Illinois and got an audition there.  Steve Deckert is the owner of Decware.

Steve is indeed a very knowledgeable guy, he'll get you sorted out.  Too bad about the duty, but I'm sure you'll be pleased with the sound.  Btw, you're very patient to have waited a year to buy your gear!

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 18
I went to the Decware shop in Illinois. To my knowledge there are no Canadian dealers. Maybe because of the duty. I did call Steve and he did sort out my problem. The systems sounds great but I'm way too fresh to give any opinion

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 18
Doesn't Canada have like a 15% GST? Are te duties in place of the GST?

GST is 5%. That's federal sales tax. Then each province (except for Alberta) has their own provincial sales tax. Here in Ontario we have a "harmonized" sales tax (both fed + provincial), so its 13% (5% GST + 8% PST).

There are no duties importing into Canada products that were built in the United States and vice versa....thanks to NAFTA.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 18
The difference is in the US you don't pay that sort of tax on stuff coming in. And you only pay duty on stuff over $1,000.

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 18
It has been about 6 months since I received my set up from Decware. It is time I report. A side from from the the duty thing which is in past now. The system does everything I expected it to do. It constantly catches me off guard with how good it is. The system is crystal clear always. You listen to this system you are constantly reminded that you are hearing things you don't normally hear. My only issue would be if it had a bit  more power. This is my bedroom system so I just have a blu-ray player (BDP95) and the TV hooked up. When using the player for movies (only ?) I have to run the amp pretty much full blast. I checked with Steve and he said this was normal. All in all I'm happy with my purchase.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
It has been about 6 months since I received my set up from Decware. It is time I report. A side from from the the duty thing which is in past now. The system does everything I expected it to do. It constantly catches me off guard with how good it is. The system is crystal clear always. You listen to this system you are constantly reminded that you are hearing things you don't normally hear. My only issue would be if it had a bit  more power. This is my bedroom system so I just have a blu-ray player (BDP95) and the TV hooked up. When using the player for movies (only ?) I have to run the amp pretty much full blast. I checked with Steve and he said this was normal. All in all I'm happy with my purchase.

Thanks for the feedback, Big B. Its always reassuring when you see positive comments from someone who has kept gear well beyond the usual 'OMG ! This is the BEST EVA !' phase. Steve comes across a pretty forthright guy on his website, and I would expect his products to have the same 'no BS' flavour.

As far as the tax/duties thing goes, here in Oz we have the same regulations as those alluded to by Rob - we don't pay any extra on purchases below $1000. There have been a lot of rumblings about this from various Australian-based businesses, but I think its a lot worse in other segments of the electronics industry than it is in audio. For example, one Chinese-run company in Brisbane routinely undercuts their opposition on computer parts, and we aren't talking a few dollars - I like competition, and I especially like to get a bargain, but there is a point where you know the prices really are 'too good to be true'.

In every other respect, we are gouged by local audio distributors here, and that includes most name-brand headphones. From what I've read from Canadian board members, it may even be worse for you guys with brands like Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back