Decware Headphone Amp?
Mar 29, 2003 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Toddathan

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a Decware EL 34I tube integrated amplifier. I want to send it back to Steve Deckert, the designer and manufacturer, to have him add a headpone output. My question--is there anything I need to specifiy to him in order to turn this into a killer headphone amp in addition to the awesome integrated amplifier it already is?

My headphones are the Grado HP-1000 (low impedance but inefficient) and the Senn HD600 (high impedance and reasonably efficient). I'm not technically proficient. Is there any particular design details I should specifiy or mention when I send it back in order maximize headphone performance? Issues like negative feedback, power, output tranformers?

Check out the design details on this thing here. There's also a good review from TNT-Audio here. I love this amp. It is designed to be at least three different designs in one, depending which configuration to choose at any time--traditional single ended triode, psuedo "zen" triode, or both designs in parallel or in series. You switch between the designs by removing or adding the inner set of EL34 output tubes only (traditional SET), the outer set only (zen triode), or using all four. You then change which posts you have the speakers plugged into on the back (there are two sets per channel). Each configuration changes the sound of the amp--literally, not just theoretically. It also has additional switches, which can be adjusted on the fly, to adjust "presence" and "crunch." These switches really do work. The "presence" switches IMO, shift the soundstage from being more forward to more laid back. The "crunch" switch does just that--it adds more bass and impact--I usually only use it for rock music.

You see, this is such a flexible and great sounding speaker amp, that its abilities with headpones coud be just as limitless. You can adjust the amp to match the music, the headphones, or just your mood--things that likely change for all of us. I think it would be even more amazing as a headphone amp, because of the ability to switch different headphones so easily.

I want to transfer all of the great sound and flexibility of this speaker amp into headphones. Is there anything I should tell Steve Deckert to keep in mind in order to accomplish this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mar 29, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
a mathing transformer is the best way to go unless you want to drastically change the amp topology.

a cheap solution http://www.head-fi.org/reviews/asl_uhc_rickcr42.html

adds the much needed headphone/speaker switching unless you want to unplug your speakers when listening to cans !

Both these are excellent suggestions.I am so happy to see hig-end designers paying attention to the headphone end of the Hifi hobby.Please send him the phones you will be using and suggest the he personnaly audition the amp with the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back