Decware CSP3
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm using a CSP3 with 25th Anniversary mods and really enjoying it with my Sennheiser HD-800S headphones.

Mine is further modified in that the input gain adjustment stage is bypassed with a glass resistor that Steve had been experimenting with. This means that I have the amp gain at a very low setting most of the time, but the sound is glorious: rich and detailed. I also am using this as one of the preamps feeding my SE84UFO3 25th Anniversary modded Monoblocks from Decware. A great combination.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm using a CSP3 with 25th Anniversary mods and really enjoying it with my Sennheiser HD-800S headphones.

Mine is further modified in that the input gain adjustment stage is bypassed with a glass resistor that Steve had been experimenting with. This means that I have the amp gain at a very low setting most of the time, but the sound is glorious: rich and detailed. I also am using this as one of the preamps feeding my SE84UFO3 25th Anniversary modded Monoblocks from Decware. A great combination.

do you have any experience with AmpsandSound or glenn's amps? curious on the comparo

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 11
No sorry, no experience with either of those. Since '97 I have used only Decware pre-amplification and headphone amps (CSP2, CSP2+, CSP3-25, Taboo Mk III and Taboo Mk IV).

Fair enough, how would you compare the CSP3-25 to the Taboo Mk4? Maybe there'll be a T Mk4-25 ... in any event, I have two ZMFs, the atticus and eikon and trying to decide between a CSP3, CSP3-25, and TbMk4 ... the dual volumes seem annoying ...

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 11
The CSP3-25 compares very favorably to the Taboo Mk IV. My CSP3-25 was modified by Steve Deckert to incorporate a glass resistor he has been playing around with successfully and he has bypassed the input gain controls. As a result I can't really turn up the gain very much with the headphones I use (Sennheiser HD800S, Oppo PM-1, Audeze LCD-2). All three sound very good, but I think they would sound a bit better if I could adjust the input and get the amplifier more into the higher end of its output. The CSP3-25 may favor the dynamic Sennheisers a bit more, whereas the Taboo plays them all very well. The Taboo has perhaps a touch more warmth, though that may also be because I can "crank" it a bit more. I love them both, use the CSP3-25 as both a preamp and headphone amp in my main system, the Taboo Mk IV in my upstairs second system. I don't find the dual volume controls annoying at all, it's very easy to dial in the right volume for each side and sometimes nice to have the balance option they provide.

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Stumbling across this thread caused me to remember fondly all my Decware amps & speakers. I owned two versions of the Taboo, and the II really brought the Audez'e LCD-2 to life. I owned several iterations of the Tori amps, and their 6-channel preamp, and 6 of the ERR speakers. I love the sound signature and craftsmanship of Decware equipment, and I love Steve Deckert's hype and iconoclasts. He is one of the fun parts of this industry. Many a night, my daughters and I would crank up the system, especially in theater mode with the lights out and all those tubes glowing, and dance for hours. :hearts::musical_score:

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Mr. H, glad to see you posting (I haven't visited here in a while). Happy New Year and hope all is well. I am still using the Taboo Mk III that I obtained from you, though the LCD-2 are no longer working. The Decware headphone amps are wonderful in my systems.

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Lon, my friend, how are you? So great to hear from you. I've also been a bit absent for a while. Back in the listening saddle again, though. Sorry to hear the LCD-2 has given up the ghost. My guess is that resuscitation costs are probable not cost-effective?

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey, I'm doing alright. It's almost seven years since I've moved to Ohio from Texas and I've still got my Dad to focus on and enjoy time with, and I have a lovely wife who I try to spoil, and I'm beginning to downsize my massive disc collection which is a project for the next few years. I don't think the LCD-2 are reparable, somehow, not sure how, one side quit and is a bit crunched. I replaced them with ZMF Oris, allows me to use the same aftermarket cable and sound pretty good, if different. I have three headphone systems: one my mainly video based system downstairs with a CSP3 w/ Anniversary mods and Taboo Mk IV with Anniversary mods that I use with HR-1 and Sennheiser HD800S, my main system upstairs which has a ZTPRE and SE84UFO3 with Anniversary mods mono blocks driving HR-1s, and your old Taboo Mk III which I use with the ZMF Oris, and a bedroom headphone system that has a CSP1+ with Anniversary mods that I use with Oppo PM-1. An embarrassment of riches!

]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back