Decoding Limitations -- iPod Touch 3G DAC
Nov 6, 2009 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JiPod

100+ Head-Fier
Was wondering if the decoding capabilities of the iPod Touch 3G DAC have limitations in regards to file format. For example, the analog signal produced by the DAC won't "change" with bit rates higher than AAC CBR 256.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 7
What do you mean with "won't change"?
It certainly should give a different analog signal output for AAC 256kbps and 320kbps files. Or any variation of bitrate/codec that is...

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Now I don't like iPods, but I would be very surprised if that worked that way. You should not have any problems with high res files at all. You're fine with 320 or ALAC even.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was wondering if the decoding capabilities of the iPod Touch 3G DAC have limitations in regards to file format. For example, the analog signal produced by the DAC won't "change" with bit rates higher than AAC CBR 256.

Not sure I understand your question but the the DAC will not have limitation for any files it is designed to decode.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean with "won't change"?
It certainly should give a different analog signal output for AAC 256kbps and 320kbps files. Or any variation of bitrate/codec that is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I don't like iPods, but I would be very surprised if that worked that way. You should not have any problems with high res files at all. You're fine with 320 or ALAC even.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I understand your question but the the DAC will not have limitation for any files it is designed to decode.

Please excuse me--I am still trying to understand how these DACs work. I now understand that pending the data in digital format will effect the analog signal produced by the DAC. I do know that the DAC in my iPod Touch 3G is a Cirrus Logic. How does this DAC compare to others? Can I also assume that each DAC have their own sound signature?

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 7
The chip used and how it is implemented will affect the sound. There are other variables including the analog circuitry/integrated headphone amplifier

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 7
I am starting to get my head around all of this. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The chip used and how it is implemented will affect the sound. There are other variables including the analog circuitry/integrated headphone amplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back