Decisions...
Nov 7, 2005 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

reeseboisse

100+ Head-Fier
Hey to all who might remember me, and to whoever I remember.

I'm going to school right now for audio recording, and so audio is once again taking over my life. I've been taking a break from really caring about anything hi-fi for a while, but now I can't resist. So, here's the deal:
Fairly soon I'll be getting a pretty large amount of money from my school for living expenses, etc. So, with a part of that, I'm going to be getting a Headroom Desktop Portable, and either K701s, or DT880s with a Cardas cable. I've also been thinking of skipping the amp and going for some UE10pros. I'd like to use them with the soundboards and computers at school, but I'll have to see if open headphones would be a problem. (None of that with the UE10s, though.) Anyway, I'm just looking for some suggestions either way.

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 5
We've had really raving reviews about the k701 over here in EU. Looks like it is superior to the HD650 as well as the DT880s, in almost any aspect. If you can wait until they arrive in Bushland, I'd head for these.

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Wow that's a fun program to be in! You know, if open cans really aren't going to be a problem, try plugging your SR60s into the board first. You are familiar with the sound, and from that you can come back and say what you liked/didn't like about the sound of the SR60s when doing your "homework." That way we can suggest something in line with what can help you with what you're doing.

Audio gear should be under educational expenses for you, not living expenses! How dare they make you eat ramen just so you can listen to stuff on a decent rig?
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 5
Well the school uses V7506s for all of the monitor headphones, and i know how those sound, and i know how they sound relative to the SR60s. I'll probably use at least the Sonys for mixing for lower-end gear, but I think it'll be nice to have a great setup for pinning down the details.

and, you know, a little home audio of course.

main thing i'm worried about with the Grados is soundstage and imaging. That "on the stage" sound is pretty nice for just listening, but i've always wanted more soundstage for playback, and i'm pretty sure i'm going to want more precise imaging for mixing than I can get with my old 60s. I figure either the AKGs or the Beyers will do pretty well in those areas, and with these reports coming in on the K701s that they've got better detail and resolution than the K1000s, well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back