Decisions, decisions...
Aug 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

akong

Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

So I'm treating myself for my birthday with a new pair of headphones. I listen to rock, alternative, and acoustic. I have rock and alternative pretty well covered with my V-Moda M80s and Grado 225i, so I'm looking for something that does acoustic very well, but preferably not at the expense of rock. Full, rich, beautiful mids are a huge plus, although I don't want to pin down my search to those alone.

Here's what I'm looking at: 
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser Momentum
Denon AHD2000
Beyerdynamic DT770
AKG Q701

I'd appreciate if anyone who has experience with any of these could chime in with a review / tips / etc. 
Thanks! 

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Sennheiser HD600 are the best you can get out of the list. They do need a powerful amp to sound their best though.

If you're going to use the headphones unamped, the Sennheiser momentum would be best for you.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Hi guys, 

So I'm treating myself for my birthday with a new pair of headphones. I listen to rock, alternative, and acoustic. I have rock and alternative pretty well covered with my V-Moda M80s and Grado 225i, so I'm looking for something that does acoustic very well, but preferably not at the expense of rock. Full, rich, beautiful mids are a huge plus, although I don't want to pin down my search to those alone.

Here's what I'm looking at: 
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser Momentum
Denon AHD2000
Beyerdynamic DT770
AKG Q701

I'd appreciate if anyone who has experience with any of these could chime in with a review / tips / etc. 
Thanks! 

Ditch the HDs an go with a beyer Dt 880 used. Or something like an Ath A900x [which I'm selling here soon] Closed Audio Technica cans do full rich beautiful mids really well! And the a900x is About $130 used. [I'll be selling cheaper than that ofc]

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Well I've narrowed it down to either the Denon D2000s or the Sennheiser 600s.

Would the sound of the Senns be described as laid-back and neutral? I would like a slightly clearer sounding headphone for acoustic, but definitely not a boring one.
How does the hd600 compare to the hd598? What does each do better than the other? How do the mids and vocals compare?

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 10

Would the sound of the Senns be described as laid-back and neutral? I would like a slightly clearer sounding headphone for acoustic, but definitely not a boring one.
How does the hd600 compare to the hd598? What does each do better than the other? How do the mids and vocals compare?

I personally have experience with Sennheiser higher end headphone and most of them have laid back sound quality especially the RS220 and the HD598 at some point.

As for Momentum you mentioned above, it is no good for acounstic for it have narrow soundstage although ted better than ATH-M50 and the bass does loose a lil

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

What source(s) do you plug your headphones into?
DAC and Amp?

The Senn HD600 are 300-Ohm so you would want a decent headphone amplifier or a receiver to plug (drive) them into.
The Denon AH-D2000 are only 25-Ohm, so you want to drive them with something that has a low output impedance, like 3-Ohm or less.
So portable audio or a solid state headphone amplifier would be preferred for driving the D2000s.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 10
What source(s) do you plug your headphones into?
DAC and Amp?

The Senn HD600 are 300-Ohm so you would want a decent headphone amplifier or a receiver to plug (drive) them into.
The Denon AH-D2000 are only 25-Ohm, so you want to drive them with something that has a low output impedance, like 3-Ohm or less.
So portable audio or a solid state headphone amplifier would be preferred for driving the D2000s.

I'll be driving them with a iBasso D-zero.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 10
The Momentum could be good for you. Quite nice w/ acoustic stuff and yet can rock out. If you had an amp, I'd heartily recommend the HD600. I listen to one at the office all day from a budget friendly Objective 2 and grin from ear to ear, regardless of what genre of music I listen to. And the mids are fantastic! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back