Decisions, Decisions!
Mar 25, 2010 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

eanders24

New Head-Fier
My pair of Apple earbuds recently broke. Well, more specifically, one of the earbuds did. I can no longer hear anything out of my left earbud. VERY annoying!

Anyway, I figured it was time to upgrade. Based on the type of music to which I listen, I am hoping to find a set of earbuds that will give me a little less base and a little more treble (1/2 of my iPod is Broadway actually). I'd like to spend under $100, although will spend more to get what I want. My concern with the Klipsch S4 is that they're too bass-y, but I'm pretty sure I don't want foam...

Any suggestions? I am new to the world of audiphilism, so guidance is necessary!

Danke, Merci, Gracias.
darthsmile.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 16
If you're moving up from Apple earbuds, even bassy earphones sounds like little droplets from heaven, my CX500's are muddy as hell, and the Sony EX-82 even more so, but I still remember just how absolutely jaw-dropped I was when I first used them.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 16
^ exactly what i felt when i bought my overpriced CX400. Erm, Fischer Audio perhaps? Heard silver bullet is pretty nice, dont exactly like my eterna, cant stand the bass >.<

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 16
Well, while I don't know what you mean by not wanting foam, but the popular choice for under $100's are the RE0's, I don't have them, but there's like 2 tonnes of people here who do and 4 tonnes of reviews and stuff written about it, you should be able to find it easily and in most large collections of earphone reviews. If you really don't want bass, then RE0 does seem like the perfect way to go for you.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Hhmm I'm not exactly sure what I meant about the foam either...apparently some of the reviews preferred the tips on the Klipsch Image S4 to some other foam ones...

I definitely will look into the RE0s...looks great so far from the reviews I've seen!

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 16
Treble Bias: Ety ER6/6i, RE0
Mid Bias: RE1, Altec Backbeat Pro Classic, (or whatever it's called now. It used to be the Titanium 326)
Bass Bias: NE-6, CX500 (?)

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Treble Bias: Ety ER6/6i, RE0
Mid Bias: RE1, Altec Backbeat Pro Classic, (or whatever it's called now. It used to be the Titanium 326)
Bass Bias: NE-6, CX500 (?)

I would definitely agree with this post. Oh and I'm gonna add the ER-4Ps if you can stretch that budget to 175
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 16
See, this is my problem...I do not know whether I should stretch my budget or not...While I don't doubt the awesomeness of the ER-4Ps, I'm just not sure whether I'd be able to hear the difference between those and the Image S4s...

What does everyone think?

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 16
You'd hear the differences but the ER4Ps are very revealing; if your source files aren't at a good quality (at least 256 (but that's too low for me)) then you're going to hear all of the "problems" of the low bit rate.

They are a little bass light compared to other phones as well; not saying they don't have bass, it's just not as strong as other phones.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 16
Look at the HF5 if you're considering etymotic. Lots better than the 6 and reportedly comparable to the 4 if unamped. From reports, not quite as etched on top with similar bass. They're a bit over $100 but one to consider. REO should be similar to HF5 and PFE is highly regarded here as is the HE900. Can't really comment on sound of most but these are good research points at the $80 to $130 range.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 16
My RE0 have alot of bass. just the treble is nice that it doesn't give a headache.
These replaced my triple-fis I highly recommend them.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 16
Hehehe thanks everyone for the help! We'll see how the Image S4s go I think; they were really comfortable to have in, and I definitely did notice an improvement from my Apple earbuds. I'm keeping my broken Apple earbuds for exercising.

Customs? Dare I ask?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back