decisions, decisions
Jul 3, 2007 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cyrian

Head-Fier
okay, i've been going back and forth between the sr-60's and the ms-1's.

i cant decide if i should just go for the sr-60's and then save up for something bigger and better, as i am sure i am bound to do since i have joind head-fi :p

i was looking into ultrasones... i dont see much around about them, but i was looking inparticular into the PROlines, either the 650 or 750, what differences will i find between ultrasones and the grados, other than the ulltrasones being closed, would it be wise to go from sr-60's to proline650s?

the ultrasones looks super sexxy, as do the grados though, maybe i should wait and save up for the 750s? but then what is there for audio differences between the 650s and the 750s?

i have so many questions, i just dont know what to do...

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 14
Also take a look at the SR-80s. More bass and punch than the MS-1s.

But...it would be helpful to know your music tastes before anyone can recommend a good headphone for you. Also, what kind of setup? Are you willing to purchase an amp?

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 14
currently i have my zune as a source, intend on building the mini3 v2 when pcb is available, listen to mostly rock, metal, classical.

the grados were recommended for the rock/metal, what would ultrasones be good for?

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 14
well.. I believe that the MS-1's would sound better than the sr60's if you also listen to other genre's besides metal/rock (like classical). And besides, it's not that much more expensive and free shipping. I say buy the MS1 and if the grado sound is for you, upgrade up their line or something.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 14
okay, ms-1 sounds like a good start, but does anyone know anything about the ultrasones? what is their sound good for?

i really love the look of them, and i have seen a bunch of people (who i dont know sadly) with some around me, so i started looking at the proline 650/750 for a pair of closed cans to maybe compliment? the open grados?

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 14
SR-80. Dont get Ultrasones, they suck. Thats all there is to it. I find them boring.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 14
I think that I'm going to buy the AD700 or AD900 (prolly the 700 'cause I'm a cheap, bastuhd) today....

ATH-AD700 is supposedly a more versatile can than even MS-1... it provides a bit more soundstage, and is more comfortable to boot.

I just don't see the AD900 really being more than twice as the 700... but, oh well..

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Don't overlook the Sound Equation RP-21s. I just got a pair, and I also have the SR-80s. I spent an hour A/B testing them both yesterday, and the RP-21s really scored. Major difference in that the RP21s are closed and the SR-80s open. And the RP21s are ugly (even uglier than the Grados). I am keeping both, but if I had to give one up, it would be the Grados. And that's before I even burned in the RP21s. I also modded them out of the box, removing the thick foam pad inside the ear cups.

Just search for RP21 on head-fi, and see if they might be contenders. They cost $99, same as the SR-80/MS1. Here's the home site for the RP-21s.

http://www.equationaudio.com/professional/rp21.htm

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Personally I would not go for A700s. Pretty good bass but the mids are really recessed, I find them unsatisfying for any type of rock. Complementing grados with headphones of a different sound sig, maybe with more soundstage, is a good idea if you also listen to classical or other types of music than rock. If you mainly listen to rock but listen to other types occasionally, MS-1 could save you some money for a future upgrade.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-80. Dont get Ultrasones, they suck. Thats all there is to it. I find them boring.

how do they suck? why did you find them boring?

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't overlook the Sound Equation RP-21s. I just got a pair, and I also have the SR-80s. I spent an hour A/B testing them both yesterday, and the RP-21s really scored. Major difference in that the RP21s are closed and the SR-80s open. And the RP21s are ugly (even uglier than the Grados). I am keeping both, but if I had to give one up, it would be the Grados. And that's before I even burned in the RP21s. I also modded them out of the box, removing the thick foam pad inside the ear cups.

Just search for RP21 on head-fi, and see if they might be contenders. They cost $99, same as the SR-80/MS1. Here's the home site for the RP-21s.

http://www.equationaudio.com/professional/rp21.htm

try them with a pair of beyer genuine leather..the bass will be punchier and better

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 14
Haha, you're in basically the same predicament as I am. I own A900s and am largely unsatisfied by how laid-back the sound is. I need punch, but according to headphonereviews.org the A900 has more punch than the SR60/80s. I'm considering whether I should just get the SR225's, because getting any lower would be downgrading from A900s.
Thoughts anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back