Decisions, decisions...
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #16 of 28
I think if I was you one thing I would consider is the headphones you plan to use and keep for a while. If they are very efficient, like AudioTechnica or Grado, then the option of a DAC with headphone out is something interesting. However if you plan on changing headphones often then keeping your seperate amp is a must.

As far as the Arcam CD73, I'm not sure you will be happy. It is a nice CDP but I'm sure it is a sideway change versus your Minimax if not lower. I own the Arcam CD23T and that is a uge step above the CD73. If your budget allows going up to $800-900, there are some used CD23 on Audiogon, that would be a better improvement than a CD73.

For the DAC, the DAC-60 is certainly an interesting option since you can get it stock under $500 and when you have more money you send for the Sonicap upgrade. I've never heard any of the DACs your are looking at but I would bet the DAC-60 is way up there.

Have fun with your decision!

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
I think if I was you one thing I would consider is the headphones you plan to use and keep for a while. If they are very efficient, like AudioTechnica or Grado, then the option of a DAC with headphone out is something interesting. However if you plan on changing headphones often then keeping your seperate amp is a must.

Well I've had my RS-1's for almost two years now and there hasn't really been any other full-sized headphones that have interested me. I've owned W100's and wouldn't mind having another pair of those but not necessary, I've also owned or tried K501's, HD580's, HD600's and HD650's but not one of those came close to turning my crank like the RS-1's do. I'm not actively looking for any full-sized headphones at this point, I'm mainly looking to get the best out of the RS-1's that I can.

I've been going back and forth on this all night. The DA10 is really appealing for it's size and that it's probably the best source of the bunch but I would lose a level of versatility that the GS-1 has and I assume take a step back in regards to the amp. The DAC-60 on the other hand is full-sized and going to be much harder for me to find a spot for especially if I couldn't put anything on top of it because of chassis heat but it does offer some versatility itself via tube rolling and might not be that far off the DA10 sonically.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 28
IMO, the sensible way is getting a DAC and keep the GS-1. But if you're looking for a cheap way to get balanced, then (again, IMO) DA-10 might be the best choice ... or buy DA-10 and keep GS-1 as single-ended headamp. :p

edit: Just as FYI, the DA-10 is pretty heavy and run quite warm.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamot
IMO, the sensible way is getting a DAC and keep the GS-1. But if you're looking for a cheap way to get balanced, then (again, IMO) DA-10 might be the best choice ...

edit: Just as FYI, the DA-10 is pretty heavy and run quite warm.

I've talked with some people about running the DA10 balanced but it's not really something I was considering because for one I'm not sure the DA10 would work well with lower impedance headphones out of the balanced outputs. Second, it would require a recable which would need to be quite ong because my listening seat is across the room. Having to do such a long recable isn't appealing to me and storage would also be a problem because I would have to get in behind the DAC and unplug the XLR's between listening sessions. So at this point balanced hasn't been an option I was considering in my buying decision.

The DA10 being heavy and running warm wouldn't be as much of a concern as it would be running as an all-in-one so it wouldn't be like the DAC-60 where I would need to put the amp on top.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

I'm not sure the DA10 would work well with lower impedance headphones out of the balanced outputs.

Good call as the XLR output seems to have higher impedence (600 Ohms), higher voltage, and lower current compare to its headphone out.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Good call as the XLR output seems to have higher impedence (600 Ohms), higher voltage, and lower current compare to its headphone out.

oooh... with a slight modification this sounds like it could drive my balanced K340's well enough.
340smile.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

From Lavry forums:

Balanced XLR: 24dBu into 600 Ohms (less then 30mA peak).
Headphone out: 20dBu into 60 Ohms (around 160mA peak).

http://www.lavryengineering.com/lavr...r=asc&start=15

For some of us that's just techno babble, what does that mean in real terms for use with various headphones?

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #24 of 28
As a previous Dialogue II owner, i've been nothing but impressed with the VDA2. It's slightly out of your budget at 599$, but it meets alot of your other criteria, it's small, has a powerful (2.25V RMS), passive output stage, and is very NON-OS sounding. It's better in every regard compared to my Dialogue II, in an entirely different league. Bass impact and slam is much improved, as is the high end, it's more natural, timbre and instrument texture is exceptional. It's worth some thought, you should easily be able to nab 190$ or so for the Dialogue II in the fs/t forum, mine went overnite, and I had 3 buy offers.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
As a previous Dialogue II owner, i've been nothing but impressed with the VDA2. It's slightly out of your budget at 599$, but it meets alot of your other criteria, it's small, has a powerful (2.25V RMS), passive output stage, and is very NON-OS sounding. It's better in every regard compared to my Dialogue II, in an entirely different league. Bass impact and slam is much improved, as is the high end, it's more natural, timbre and instrument texture is exceptional. It's worth some thought, you should easily be able to nab 190$ or so for the Dialogue II in the fs/t forum, mine went overnite, and I had 3 buy offers.

Yeah, I've looked at the VDA2 and it sounds somewhat intriguing but the price turns me off especially when you consider it should have the VAC1 as well, then it's getting into Lavry territory. I don't, maybe I'll look into it further though.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
For some of us that's just techno babble, what does that mean in real terms for use with various headphones?

It means that either one can put out enough amperage to drive headphones. The XLR output has enough to drive even low impedance headphones, but will start running short if you try to listen to them at very loud levels (think 95dB+), whereas the headphone jack will keep going well higher than most anyone would care to listen. Of course the XLR jacks can't drive K1000's, and even the headphone jack can't take them to their max, but that is a tall task.

At a recent meet, I was able to get some confirmation on my theory that the Lavry's headphone jack sounds about like a Gilmore Lite, using the Headphile HP3000 (Grado HP1 drivers), a slight graininess was detected in the Lavry's jack, but the listener (wakked1 I believe) said it was very close, quite subtle, and that the Gilmore Light would essentially be redundant to one who owned a Lavry.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
It means that either one can put out enough amperage to drive headphones. The XLR output has enough to drive even low impedance headphones, but will start running short if you try to listen to them at very loud levels (think 95dB+), whereas the headphone jack will keep going well higher than most anyone would care to listen. Of course the XLR jacks can't drive K1000's, and even the headphone jack can't take them to their max, but that is a tall task.

At a recent meet, I was able to get some confirmation on my theory that the Lavry's headphone jack sounds about like a Gilmore Lite, using the Headphile HP3000 (Grado HP1 drivers), a slight graininess was detected in the Lavry's jack, but the listener (wakked1 I believe) said it was very close, quite subtle, and that the Gilmore Light would essentially be redundant to one who owned a Lavry.

Thanks for clearing that up Iron Dreamer, maybe I'll regret this but I've decided to hold off on the Lavry for now and look into pairing a better DAC with the GS-1. I may still try the Lavry at some point especially if I come across a decent used deal, but I just couldn't see giving up the GS-1 at this point so I would be throwing money out the window on shipping by buying a Lavry just to try it and ship back.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #28 of 28
I think the DA10 and VDA2 would be very close in performance. Though, with signifigantly different sound signatures. Since you already like the NON-OS sound though, it seems like it would fit you well. It's still cheaper then an ACK 2.0! And probably just as good or better. Though these are big comments to be throwing around when i've never heard a DA10 or Ack 2.0! It sounds great without the power supply too, though there's a definate improvment with it. I had to use mine for a week without the power supply and it still easily best my other sources. still about 215$ cheaper then DA10 even with the power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back