Decisions decisions...
Jan 27, 2005 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BuckDiesel

New Head-Fier
Alright, I'm prepared to purchase a HD based player. The 256 mb flash player I have been using at the gym just quit on me, so I decided to upgrade to something that can hold more music and be more useful while traveling etc.

Right now I am debating between the Zen Micro and a 4G 20 GB iPod. Currently the only reason I am still considering the iPod is because of all the accessories currently available (and I've heard good things about iTunes). At some point, I will want to hook up the player in my car. Any predictions as to if these products will ever be made for the Zen Micro? Is it possible now for the Zen micro to be played in a car? Someday?

I prefer the Micro for size, sound quality, FM tuner, removeable battery etc., but I don't want to puchase a $250 player if I am not going to have accessory options in the future. 5 GB should be plenty of storage, however the reason I have excluded the iPod mini is because it is the same price, has fewer features, and has less storage. So if I make the choice to step into Apple's product line, I'll go for the 20GB.

I like the idea of having a micro, but I'm not sure I want to be carrying it around in an altoids case for a year (as well as not being able to use the player in the car).

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 10
99% of the radio adapters sold for the ipod work with any player; they just plug into the headphone jack. the only thing the ipod has on the micro in that department is a line out. so if head unit in your car has a line in plug (if you arent sure, it doesnt), it will sound better coming from the ipod, though the micro will still work fine. The adapters made specifically for the ipod are overpriced, ugly, and don't work any better than anything else out there, so i don't see them as any advantage. The problems seems to be finding a radio adapter that works well, though some of these that plug into the cigaretter lighter seem to be the best.

As for other accessories, I expect them to come out, but who knows.

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 10
if its got a head phone jack and your car cd player has a line in or aux in then you can use it in the car(even your flash player). unless your sitting still in the car you wont be able to make out a diffence in the music (line out vs. headphone out) because of road noise. unless your driving something like a bently or rolls.
tongue.gif
you'll start seing accessories popping up for the micro pretty soon here. they released their battery and remote about 3 weeks ago i think. so the rest should follow shortly with in a few months me thinks. so i think your only objection to the micro was the lack of accessories and a mabey with the car cd support so you should have it figured out now.
biggrin.gif

oh and i whole heartedly agree with jmmmmm
eggosmile.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 10
You can use the Rio Karma in a car as it is. It has a true line out on the dock, RCA jacks. The dock makes it perfect for a car. I suggest looking into it. It also has gapless playback, complete FLAC support, Ogg Vorbis support, and Rio DJ, the last one being priceless with an HD player.
biggrin.gif

Any player with a line out should work in a car, if your car has RCA line in jacks of some sort.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 10
Only with the iPod can you get fully-integrated in-car solutions that allows you to navigate playlists through the controls on your steering wheel or the controls and display of your headunit. The first generation of these products were kind of ugly and limited (from BMW and from Alpine), but the second generation looks much better. Take a look at the stuff Clarion is introducing, for example.

By the way, if you want to go the cheap route, the FM transmitter solution is by far the worst in terms of sound quality. Use a cassette adapter or the line-in on your head unit if you can.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
Only with the iPod can you get fully-integrated in-car solutions that allows you to navigate playlists through the controls on your steering wheel or the controls and display of your headunit.

I beg to differ. Oh yes, there is a new player on the scene, and it can do a lot of what the iPod can. And for over twice as long.
eek.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Get a iPod. Join the Dark Side
very_evil_smiley.gif

but in all seriousness, the micro is a very good choice. size, battery life, FM, and others are all good perks in the player. but it seems like the recent batch has a flaw with the backlight going through the entire front faceplate. you may want to wait and see if creative will make a statement about the issue or something.

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I am 99% sure I will end up getting the Micro.

The Rio Karma sounds like a great player from reading the specs and just a couple reviews. Why haven't I heard more about it? How does the EQ compare to that of the Micro? How about over all sound quality? I am not an all out audiophile, but everything in my car is aftermarket and I do enjoy good sound quality. The lack of a changeable battery worries me in the karma.

How about the user interface of the karma? One of the attractive things about the Micro and the iPod are that they are fun to use.

As far as the transluscent faceplate, I am not too worried about it. I would be buying a silver unit and I don't predict any weird colors being produced between the silver and blue
icon10.gif
>

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckDiesel
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I am 99% sure I will end up getting the Micro.

Well, i've been thinking about buying one too and a figured out I might start enjoying music so much that 5 GB just won't be enough. Why didn't they make a zen not so micro with a little bit more storage?

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guust-Fi
Well, i've been thinking about buying one too and a figured out I might start enjoying music so much that 5 GB just won't be enough. Why didn't they make a zen not so micro with a little bit more storage?

Yea I know what ya mean. But in the event that 5GB gets to be too small for my needs I'll upgrade to somethin larger. I like buyin new gadgets.

I ordered the silver Zen Micro from Amazon last night,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back