Decisions! Decisions! Cyber 20 or MG Head OTL ?!?
Jan 31, 2002 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bhasi

New Head-Fier
I'll be making a much-delayed work trip to China at the end of March and am seriously tempted to try to buy one of these while there. The problem is, of course, which one?

I'm currently using SR60s and KSC35s with portable sources (with Etymotic EP4Ss + TA on order) and old Sennheiser HD520s with my static system. The headphone amp will be a first step towards a valve-based set-up, probably involving the Audio Note Zero components and necessitating a shift up to HD600s.

Of course I won't be buying without listening first, but what are members' views on the two amps? Have the people who made a group purchase of the Cyber 20s last year compared it to the ASL? Which is the better bargain? Do they suit particular types of music?

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 19
All I can say is... ASL MG Head & Sennheiser HD600 floats my boat.
smily_headphones1.gif
No tweaks or tube rolling necessary (although Clou replacement cables do help on imaging).
The most enjoyable headphone experience within my reach, accept no substitute.

Feb 1, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 19
I'm sorry ! You can not found MG-Head OTL or other "Antique Sound Lab" products in China. Actually We can not selling in China.
We only sign an assemble agreement with China Goverment. All material should Import from Hong Kong and products should 100% return to Hong Kong. So We never sell in China. Also You only can found MG-Head but not OTL in Hong Kong due to lead time too long and North American order it in big quantity. So We still don't have capacity to made MG-Head OTL to Asia market.

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 19
I'd say go for the Head. Was comparing it to my Melos, and it seems the head gives me more of an emotional impact than the Melos. Then again, I've only been listening to the Melos for a couple of hours.

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 19
Go CYBER! Its more detailed and built waaaaaay better.

Feb 1, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 19
I'd say go for the Head. Was comparing it to my Melos, and it seems the head gives me more of an emotional impact than the Melos. Then again, I've only been listening to the Melos for a couple of hours.

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
(glances over at his MG Head and hopes it wasn't built in a Chinese sweatshop....)

Sure not ! We made it in our own factory even it not very big but it only made tube amplifiers.

Feb 1, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Lau
Sure not ! We made it in our own factory even it not very big but it only made tube amplifiers.

Good to know that. China is a HUGE trading partner with the US and although we are getting along well in business, they have a long way to go concerning human rights.

The best way to stop terrorism? Give everyone a hi-fi headphone system! Instant immobilization!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 19
MirandaX,
I have the SHA-1 with the upgraded Audioquest power cable and silver wire with some Mullard gold pin 6dj8's. I thinking about getting some bugle boys to roll.

On another note, I'm beginning to suffer from seller's remorse. I have to ship out my MG HEAD Monday to ICU. I hope I will not have to look for a use MG HEAD in the next 6 months or so.

Feb 2, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 19
Darkclouds, if you should roll, will you be putting your Mullard 6DJ8s up for sale?

BTW, someone please tell the newbie in the (HA!) block the unscramblng of the ACRONYMs: MG, DT, and OTL, hehe, and watch me, how greeeeeen can one be?
frown.gif

MG Head: ???
confused.gif

DT: Divergent Tech?
OTL: Output TransformerLess? (Desolder Green Wire? on the DT? Wing mod?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back