Decision time
Mar 18, 2004 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

riddley

100+ Head-Fier
I'm ordering a new amp... to go between my NAD C542 and Sennheiser HD650s. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1) PPA with discrete diamond buffer.

2) Opera Cyber-20 Chinese tube amp.

Ordering from Australia, the Cyber-20 works out quite a bit cheaper than a deluxe Larocco PPA. Also, the STEPS power supply for the PPA is not an option for me (because we're on 240V).

I'm heavily swayed toward the Cyber-20 by the staggering rave review of the Cyber-20 in this month's Positive Feedback Online (the reviewer implies that he preferred it to an Earmax and an Emmeline HR-2).

Can anyone help me make my final decision?

Mar 18, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Its a simple choice between whether you like solid-state or tube-state better.

Personally, I'd go with the PPA + discrete if I still had a Sennheiser; it'd probably make it sound livelier.

Mar 18, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by riddley
I think that a better SS amp usually beats a mediocre tube...

Yes, I'd agree. Better gear does generally beat mediocre gear.
tongue.gif

As I said, it depends on your taste. And to some degree, a willingness to take the plunge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Actually, I'm tempted to get the cyber-20 just because hardly anyone here has it, while everyone's raving about the PPA.

But that's not necessarily the way to end up with the best equipment
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Isn't the Opera Cyber-20 a clone of the original MG Head, just with an external power supply? (i.e. The one earlier than the MG Head OTL.)

Edit: Or maybe it was the opposite (the MG Head being a clone of the Cyber 20).... I do remember them being around at roughly the same time.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by riddley
Also, the STEPS power supply for the PPA is not an option for me (because we're on 240V).

Can't help you with your decision, but the STEPS can be wired for either 120 or 240. It's a jumper set that you install for either mains. It was laid out that way, not a hack.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 8
It sounds like it will be a sound (no pun intended) investment. I will be looking forward to your impressions. BTW I sis not see any reference to the HR-2 only the Ear-Max in the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back