Decision time: Sash Tres planars vs. Bottlehead Crack amp

What should I buy next?

• Total voters
May 31, 2023 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thomasr

500+ Head-Fier
Part of what drew me into the audiophile rabbithole is the allure of tube amplifiers, but (aside from a cheap Aiyima hybrid DAC/amp) I don't have any tube gear yet. I'm pretty sure my next move in that direction will be the BHC+SB kit, but at the same time I'm really drawn to the idea of ordering a set of Sash Tres planars - I love my Monolith M1570 and want to hear a different "take" on planars. Rather than going the mass-market route, I like the idea of boutique/custom cans.

As it turns out, these two options are around the same cost with shipping, etc.

May 31, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 10
Two very different directions that are being considered.

OTL amps like the BHC are meant to be used with high impedance headphones, not planars. If you're wanting to get into a tube amp that will play nice with planars look into transformer coupled (TC) or single ended triode (SET) amps.

Headphones that will sound good with an OTL will be something that has an impedance of 250 ohms or above, like ZMFs, HD800/820, HD650/600, some versions of Beyer headphones, some vintage AKG like K240 sextetts, K240DF, K340 and a few more im forgetting.

May 31, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 10
OTL amps like the BHC are meant to be used with high impedance headphones, not planars.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting these two purchases are complementary - I know planars are a poor match for OTL (though weird coincidences do sometimes occur).

I have a set of DT-880/600 that reputedly are a dynamite pairing with the BHC, and if I buy the Tres, my existing HO200 amp should fit the bill.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 10
To be clear, I'm not suggesting these two purchases are complementary - I know planars are a poor match for OTL (though weird coincidences do sometimes occur).

I have a set of DT-880/600 that reputedly are a dynamite pairing with the BHC, and if I buy the Tres, my existing HO200 amp should fit the bill.
Yes, sometimes that rule is not a hard one. The AKG K701 is dynamite with the Glenn OTL despite being a low impedance headphone, and supposedly the old HE500 is a good match on the La Figaro 339, but generally speaking it's not a good idea to use planars and/or low impedance dynamic driver headphones with an OTL.

I have the DT880 600 ohm version and as you mentioned, that is a prime candidate for an OTL amp. Questions though, are you a fan of the way the DT880 sounds, and what is it you're hoping to get out of a DT880+BHC pairing?

IMHO, you'd be better served getting a tube amp that you can use all of your headphones on as opposed to an amp that will only play nice with the DT880.

I've owned the Woo WA2, La Figaro 339, Glenn OTL and now the Airmid OTL. Owning an OTL is a commitment and you are extremely limited as to which headphones you can use on an OTL.
ZMF headphones for example, are worth building a system around as they scale incredibly well, but the DT880 will remain bright and bass light regardless of which amp you're using.

I've not heard the planar you're considering so I can't offer any advice there, but unless you absolutely love the sound of the DT880, it isn't worth buying an amp just for it.

Just my .02

May 31, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm enjoying the 880/600 way more than I was expecting to, even being driven by my SS SMSL amp. They are a bit bright, but their snappy, dynamic performance keeps me reaching for them time and again - a lot more often than my HD660S honestly. That said, odds are extremely good I'll buy additional high-impedance headphones in the future, especially once there's a BHC in the house.

May 31, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 10
but their snappy, dynamic performance keeps me reaching for them time and again - a lot more often than my HD660S honestly. That said, odds are extremely good I'll buy additional high-impedance headphones in the future, especially once there's a BHC in the house.
Sounds like you just answered your own question.

May 31, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 10
I feel the BHC was my gateway into better audio, and tubes.

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 10
Choosing between Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and Sash Tres planars is like having two enticing paths in the audiophile forest. The allure of tube amplifiers is strong, and the BHC+SB kit sounds like a cool venture into that territory.
On the other hand, the Sash Tres planars offer a different kind of journey, especially if you're looking for a unique ""take"" on planars. The allure of boutique/custom cans is understandable – they can add a personal touch to your audio experience.
While you're at this crossroads, how about taking a whimsical detour? Roll the virtual d&d dice roller. It might just bring a smile to your audiophile contemplation.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back