Decision Time: My Next Pair (Open)
Jul 15, 2004 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
Well it's finally that time. Time I have a halfway decent reason to get another pair. Here's the facts:

Limitations: Must be able to hear the phone ring and intercom.
Type needed: Open
Budget: $125 ($150 shipped)

Finalists: Prota Pros ($50), Allesandro MS-1' ($100)(Grado 125 equivilant), HD580's ($150)

We've recently expanded and remodeled much of my workplace. I've gotten my own office set up for use as the data center and am close to being "unpacked". Unlike my old office that was in the middle of the business office area, my new one is away from the bulk of the business staff (who work at their desks) and next to the medical staff (who are only at their desks the first and last hours of the day.) For the most part, the only outside noise I have to deal with now is from the fans on the power supplies and hard drives of 7 computers and I am taking measures to reduce that.

So, as I am the company computer geek, now more than ever I need to hear the phone, whether it rings or if the intercom comes on. On good days, I get 2-3 calls. On bad days, I'm one the phone more than the computer. So I'm looking at open cans to listen to everything: Beethoven to Bluegrass and everything in between.

I know the music background of each of the ones I've listed, and so my main question is: Which would be the most open? If they aren't open enough, I won't be able to use them enough to justify the $$$. But, worst case senerio, I'll whined up taking them home and using them there.

For reference, I keep KSC-35's in my travel bag and have been using my V6's at my desk, but they have been too isolating for what I need.

Opinions please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 13
When you've got maxxed volume on your ipod headphone jack with MS-1s on and can still hear the pre-whimper of your baby boy before the cryin' starts, you know that's one open pair of cans. the problem is, the baby was probably cryin' because the cans were SO open that the baby was grooving to some scary Daddy music a couple of feet away.

Jul 15, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 13
I have grados and I listen to them moderately loud at the office and can still hear the phone ring and my office mate call my name to ask me a question. The music is still loud & clear though and outside sound doesnt bother my music listening much.... I guess I am the opposite of you as I don't want to hear anything else so I'm going to try out some closed phones to pair with the sr225's that I love.

*edit... read that you want to hear the intercom. You will hear it, but you won't be able to make out full sentences. You will hear the intercom enough to make you pull down your 'phones and listen to what it is saying.

Jul 15, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 13
I (MS1) and my co-worker (HD555) interrupt each other all the time. Both are pretty open. Are you using an amp? Will play a part for HD580 (or K501 - $125). Possibly consider K240S ($99) also, though never tested their talking-while-on rating.

Jul 15, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by slug
I have grados and I listen to them moderately loud at the office and can still hear the phone ring ................
........*edit... read that you want to hear the intercom. You will hear it, but you won't be able to make out full sentences. You will hear the intercom enough to make you pull down your 'phones and listen to what it is saying.

That's the idea. When the intercom kicks on, there is a tone and then the person calling usually either says "Hello?" or "Donald" and waits for a response. I keep the volume on the phone up high enough that I can talk to them from anywhere in the room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I (MS1) and my co-worker (HD555) interrupt each other all the time. Both are pretty open. Are you using an amp? Will play a part for HD580 (or K501 - $125).....

Main source at the office is currently a D-25s powered by a rather large battery and sound card. No amp at the moment as neither the V6 nor 35's need them. I've got the parts for a maxed out CHA-47 amp collecting dust at the moment and may get around to puting them to use after the next purchase.

So that's
Grado/MS1: 3
Senns: 1 to look at
Koss: 0

Jul 15, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 13
i cant speak for the hd580, but i would pick the koss over the grado.

yes, both are open, but the grado is much more open. you would have to crank up the volume more and others will hear your music more as well.

portapro take up less space and takes less time for putting on and taking off.

sound quality wise the grado win, but the enviroment cant be loud if you want to enjoy them. also the comfort issue for grado, well...for me they are pretty comfortable, but others complain about them.

online the PP is $40 shipped or less.

Jul 15, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 13
AR: I'd suggest to take the Creative HQ-1300 (aka Labtec Elite 840) into consideration, too. It sounds surprisingly good for the price (~ 25 Euro over here) - plus it's pretty comfy, open and efficient. And as it's fairly cheap, you could easily whip out a new one, in case it ever gets stolen from your workplace...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 15, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
yes, both are open, but the grado is much more open. you would have to crank up the volume more and others will hear your music more as well.

Definitely agree with terrymx. The difference in volume isn't minor (though I prefer the MS1 sound). Course if you're a bit away from others this is less an issue.

Not sure about the intercom, but getting a visual device (from Lighthouse, etc.) to blink when the phone rings may also be a possibility.

Jul 16, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 13
I'd go with the HD555's as well, they sound great at lower volumes and are extreamly comfortable. The combination of the two things makes them very good for work as they will not fatigue. They don't need an am but will sound better if you get one/put one together down the road. They also sound good with just about every type of music.

The Grado's on the other hand are known to be fatiguing and uncomfortable, this is a very bad combination at work.

The Koss cans just aren't going to stack up in sound quality against the others cans you're looking at.

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The Grado's on the other hand are known to be fatiguing and uncomfortable, this is a very bad combination at work.

Isn't this a bit of a generalization?

Kinda like Senns are known for being laid back and inducing drowsiness, please don't use when operating heavy machinery.

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994

Funny my RS-1's are the most comfortable best sounding headphone I've owned.
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back