Decision time: HD485's or HD555's? Multi purpose for computer, no amp.
Jan 9, 2006 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Reiniku

New Head-Fier
I'm finally getting down to making my first real headphone purchse, seriously owning nothing but some some earbuds for my ipod. This is going to be mainly for computer use, but doing a lot on that computer. First of all I should establish that I will be running whichever cans I buy off of a y-splitter from my audigy 2zs along with a set of z-5300e's for when I'm gaming and watching anime or dvds.

I was originally looking with comfort being the number one priority, but after looking around for a while the hd485's were right in my price range and the hd555's pushing it. What I'll be mostly doing with these are watching anime (a lot), gaming, listening to jpop and r&b (moreso jpop... <3 Kotoko), and a dvd here and there.

Ignoring the price (though i'd like not to) which would be the better headphone for doing these things? I don't exactly know how to describe the music I listen to (the jpop part) but I'm not really thinking bass is a big key in it. So that was a strike against the hd485. But they seem to fit the bill for games and movies because of their warmer sounds and boomy bass. The hd555's have just been getting the thumbs up left and right.

I know the HD485's are relatively new so I'd love to hear some honest opinions on them from some people who actually own a pair. Thanks for the help guys!

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 16
My preference is for the 555. The 485 sounds a bit 'rich' in the bass end. Also, the fit of the 555 is more comfortable for me - the pads go round your ears not on them.

Ian

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 16
I have both of these headphones and think both of them are great. The hd485 were my first respectable cans and coming from my old eh150 the sound quality was excellent. They have great clean bass as well as good mids and highs. When i upgraded to the hd555 i was not as impressed as when i first got my hd485. While the hd555 are more detailed i found the hd485 to be a lot more fun because of its tight bass impact. The hd555 does offer a wider soundstage then the hd485 therefore making it a little better for gaming/movies. As for jpop, im no expert on the genre but i think the hd485 will be better for this because i think they are better for rock and electronica types of music because of the bass. Anyways they both should sound amazing compared to the stock buds.

p.s. the hd485 comes with a really cool headphone clip/stand that everyone on this board seems to want.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 16
Yes, the hd485 is circumaural, but the opening is smaller than the hd555's so those with bigger ears might have a problem.

The hd555 is built a bit better and is probably more accurate, but I actually prefer the hd485. The bass is slightly strong but not overwhelmingly so and not slow like the bass of the akg k240s. The hd485 is a very fun can that will have your foot tapping as soon as the music starts. The hd555 can be a bit boring at times.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 16
the hd485s are circumaural but they are smaller than the hd555 pads so people with large ears might feel discomfort although it is minimal. I have regular size ears and my ears fit entirely in the cup.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 16
I just got the hd555s and they are great for gaming and dvds (including some anime), decent for music to if you play with some of your audio settings. I found turning up the bass manually in my sound card controls gives them that extra punch when I'm in the mood. Oh yeah, they are verrrrrry comfortable.
580smile.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 16
I think that my ears are fairly normal sized so I'm not too worried on that end. On the note of the comfort of the hd555's, which would you guys who owned or have owned both would say would be more comfortable? With normal size ears of course.

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 16
I can't really comment on the HD485 because I don't own a pair. Nor have I ever listened to them. I can, however, comment on the HD555. The one word that I always use to describe them is amazing. They excel in many areas, including comfort, sound quality, versatility, etc... They are also incredibly easy to drive. Another quality is its good response to EQ'ing. The build is also good. I think it would be good for your purposes.

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 16
I have the 485. I find its bass is just nice, not too overpowering. Very good for rock and pop music. Does well for rap and hip hop too. I auditioned the 555 and was impressed. Better clarity and details but less bass. I like them and eyeing the 595.
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiniku
It was my understanding that the hd485's also go around the ears, covered in a soft cloth, not too unlike the velour found on the hd555's.

I'm sorry. The 465 fits on and the 485 supposedly goes round, but the hole's a bit small for my lugs so I regard them as 'on ear' I suppose. The 555 truly fits round the lugs.
tongue.gif
(I have all three!!!)

The 555's are more comfortable.The bass in the 485's is a lttle bloated and enjoyable in the short term, but I find it a tad overbearing in many types of music. The 465's also have this 'bloat'.

Ian

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I'm sorry. The 465 fits on and the 485 supposedly goes round, but the hole's a bit small for my lugs so I regard them as 'on ear' I suppose. The 555 truly fits round the lugs.
tongue.gif
(I have all three!!!)

The 555's are more comfortable.The bass in the 485's is a lttle bloated and enjoyable in the short term, but I find it a tad overbearing in many types of music. The 465's also have this 'bloat'.

Ian

Now I'm a bit worried about just how big my ears are exactly.
confused.gif
I've never thought of them as that big but now I'm not so sure.

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 16
My ears aren't that big and I just about get them in there!! I rset the front of the pads on the bit that goes into the ear hole so that the flaps of my ears aren't hindered at the back. (Oooh .... does that make sense?)
eek.gif

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back