Decision made... Building a CMoy
Apr 12, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #46 of 52
I bought a Weller iron with a tiny tip attachment and it's made work much easier. Now, a question that could save a lot of time and frustration...

I'm having trouble wiring up the potentiometer because it's so small and I need to use all five pins (Panasonic).

How do you hold in place both the output jack and the hookup wire while you're also holding the soldering iron and solder?

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #47 of 52
One way: 3rd hand tool

Typical one here: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...roductId=26690

Alternate way: Mount the output jack into something. Hold the wire down with something heavy (spool of solder?)

Advanced alternate way: With a little practice you can hold solder and the iron in one hand and your work in the other. If you try this be careful not to burn a finger.

You can also try holding the solder and the wire in one hand. Might be easier for you depending on what you hold with your dominant hand.

Edit: Just thought of one more. Tin the wire first. Put it on the jack and reheat. You may need to add a little solder.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #48 of 52
The third hand tool certainly looks useful. Tinning both the wire and the connector has made the other jacks easier to solder, but the connectors are too small on the pot for me to be accurate with it.

I almost melted the whole potentiometer just trying to find a good angle where I could hold the soldering iron steady.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #49 of 52
It will get easier with practice. After you've done this for awhile you learn just how to heat something up. There are many ways to get that part soldered. Another possibility is mounting it to a board first then soldering wires to the board. With time you will get a system that works for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The third hand tool certainly looks useful.

Yes they are. I've got a couple of them. I need to get one with a magnifying glass. Having some specialized tools goes a long way to making this easier and more fun. 3rd hand tools aren't very expensive.

A temperature controlled soldering station helps too -- but I don't want to start that argument up again
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #50 of 52
It works! It's complete! Well, I still have to case it and add the power switch and LED, but the whole system works!@#$

280smile.gif

I was incredibly worried that I'd made mistake after mistake. I'm sure it's not the best amp it could be, but I don't detect any channel imbalances, static, or anything else wrong (and I'm using low-impedance headphones).

This is the best feeling in the world... CMoy #2, here I come.

Now I'm equipped with the proper tools and knowledge to get the job done even better next time.

Thanks, guys! Especially tangent for hosting his CMoy tutorial, and also everyone else who answered my newbie questions.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It works! It's complete! Well, I still have to case it and add the power switch and LED, but the whole system works!@#$

280smile.gif

I was incredibly worried that I'd made mistake after mistake. I'm sure it's not the best amp it could be, but I don't detect any channel imbalances, static, or anything else wrong (and I'm using low-impedance headphones).

This is the best feeling in the world... CMoy #2, here I come.

Now I'm equipped with the proper tools and knowledge to get the job done even better next time.

Thanks, guys! Especially tangent for hosting his CMoy tutorial, and also everyone else who answered my newbie questions.

woot grats on your CMoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back