Decision Help. RE0, M6, or Nuforce NE-6
Mar 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

eltce

New Head-Fier
So I have been lurking recently to purchase a new pair of IEMs. I would like to keep my spending to under $100 and have narrowed my 3 choices down to the RE0, M6, and NE-6 (I don't use a mic). I am leaning towards the RE0 due to good reviews overall of SQ and great value at only $79. However, I believe the RE0 has to be paired with an amp to bring out the true SQ in the RE0.

My music selection consists of hip hop, rap, top 40 hits, and electronic music such as trance and techno. If anyone knows an IEM more suitable for me in my budget, please let me know. Please note that I am not a bass head but I do enjoy a good bass in IEMs.

Also, if I am considering getting the FiiO E1,E3, or E5 portable amp for my ipod. It seems I have to crank up the volume to my nano 5g all the way up to get a decent sound. Leaning towards the E1 because of the conveniece of not using a battery but the E5 has a built in recharable battery (Am I correct?). Can someone tell me if the E1 and E3 are different in terms of SQ. Again, I plan to use the amp mostly with an ipod but the convience of using it with my laptop is a plus. Again, if anyone knows of a better amp paired with the above headphones, please recommend it to me.

Also, do the Comply T-400 tips fit the RE0 or do the stock tips work fine by itself.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 14
For the genres you mentioned, especially trance and techno, the M6 would likely be an even better choice than the RE0.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 14
^ x2
If clarity and neutrality appeal to you, then the RE0 should be considered.
If a fun, engaging, and warm sound is more desirable in your music, then the M6 is probably the best choice of the three.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 14
RE0+ipod nano with E1 willbe great portable setup and line out signal from ipod nano are much cleaner than HP jack. The E1 has volume control and you can set the volume maximum on ipod nano. It will still provide cleaner signal without distortion and E1 volume can get pretty loud.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 14
I would suggest the M6. RE0s are great headphones, but I have found that they need a better amp than a Fiio. It's not a matter of volume but of power with these phones. Save yourself the hassle, dissapointment, and money in the long run and check out the Meelec M6s. IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 14
What about the E5. I want to overlook the E3 because I don't feel like getting new triple A batteries everytime but I dont mind charging the E5 at home everyday. It is the same price as the E1? I am pretty much set on getting the RE0, now I just need some good tips for it but I'll try out the stock ones first.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 14
The E5 sounds good and for the money is surprisingly good when stacked up to amps up to $100. However, like I mentioned before, it will still be a bit underpowered. For instance, you won't get very impactful bass - you can EQ it in, but it just won't have much pnuch to it....but then again, they might suit you just fine. It really does come down to taste. Plus you can always upgrade the amp later on. BTW, the small silicone stock tips I found were pretty good, but getting decored olives were awesome; sony hybrids were nice too. Good luck

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 14
I honestly wouldn't bother with the E5 if I was you. It won't really do much. It adds some bass yes but it affects the treble in a negative way. They need a much better amp than the E5.

If you are set on the RE0 then once you get them I would suggest you get some sony hybrids which are much more comfortable than the stock tips are one of my favorite tips. They are a bit costly at $8 plus tax at your local best buy and you only get 1 size you can use. You can also get the fake sony hybrids on ebay which are comparable according to some people here. If you do not mind doing modification you can get the Shure olives but those require you to take out the inner core.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Just a comment about the E5...mine has a setting that is right in between the bass boost and the normal setting. It increases the output power (ie. more impact, clean clear bass, better mids) and the volume as well by about 6 dbs. I don't know if all E5 have this weird setting, though...As rawrster said, using the E5 really isn't much of a help to the RE0s.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 14
The RE0 are great for many kinds of music (acoustic, classical, most kinds of rock/pop) but I've found myself disappointed when listening to hip-hop and house. For example, Dre's beats on 2001 don't have the kick they're supposed to have when listening on the RE0. I will probably be picking up either the Fischer Eterna or the Hippo VB for when I listen to hip-hop and house, and just split time between these two headphones.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 14
??? The E1 is on the same level as the E5...neither is better than the other. The E1 will give you a clean sound with clear basses but not much quantity of it. The E5 will give you more bass, but subdued highs. Different sounds really - not better sounds. I really think that if you get an E5 and it can do that "middle" setting thing, it would be much better than the E1, plus you wouldn't have that long cable tail to deal with.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 14
I think there is a substantial difference between the E5 and E1, owning them both. Now, most of that difference is because the LOD of my iPod is significantly better than the HP out. Either way, the E1 is more neutral and the E5 has a bit of a bass bloat. I think the E1 is definitely a better amp. It's neutral, and it's clean. I find myself liking the remote feature and I don't find the extra cabling a major pain. I only ever use my E5 in cases I can't use my E1 or my Starving Student (full sized) amp.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 14
another vote for the M6 and imo, the E5 won't really do much except that it has a bass boost. at least when i had it i didn't notice any difference, although i was using it with a clip. ethan961 is right thought that the LOD of the iPod is much better than HP out, so it may give you better SQ in that sense, but probably you could do without it as well. the M6 fits your music preference perfectly and once you cut off the heat shrink and remove the copper wire, it is so comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back