Decision help: Buy Gamecube or not?
Oct 11, 2006 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

mr_baseball_08

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a Gamecube and can't decide whether I should or not. I can get one off Ebay relatively cheap and since I'm Ebaying a bunch of stuff I had lying around the house, I'm not going to miss the money at all...

I've been out of the console gaming world since my N64.. I'm not worried about the latest, greatest graphics (I still very much enjoy my SNES
biggrin.gif
), I just want a fun console with some games I can play over and over and not get tired of.

So anyways, I've always been a fan of Nintendo consoles and games, and just basically need to know if this system can meet the requirements I've set forth. So what do you guys think?

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 29
with all these new consoles coming out, i've been considering buying an old gen system as well, except not a gamecube, but an xbox, since (in very my opinion) the games are better and there are more uses for it. even though it costs more than twice as much as a gamecube, i still think it's well worth it.

my 3 rubles for what it's worth.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 29
If you like nintendo games, then why the hell not.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
get a wii

x2

The Wii is backwards compatible. Why not just put those funds towards something that will let you play more games? Not just GC and Wii games, but games from Nintendo's vast catalogue of classics.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 29
A Wii may be something you're looking for. I've heard that you're also able to download some of the older nintendo games for $5-$10 or so. Both new and old in the same Nintendo console.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 29
how about waiting for the wii in november? accepts gamecube discs as well as the wavebird controller/memory card. disadvantage is that the wii is most likely region locked, while the gamecube has the freeloader disc for playing imports. decisions decisions.
i'm considering buying gamecube games now and waiting for the wii to be released in lime green/red/black. except nintendo maybe re-releasing gc games that can use the wiimote for controls...

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 29
Well 60-75 bucks versus 200 is quite a difference.. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, sorry about your wallet and all that good stuff. Like I said I'm not that worried about having the best graphics (even though, the Wii doesn't) or being on the cutting edge of technology... I just want something FUN with maximum replayability (is that a word?). So does the Gamecube achieve this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
If you like nintendo games, then why the hell not.

I like the way you think!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
x2

The Wii is backwards compatible. Why not just put those funds towards something that will let you play more games? Not just GC and Wii games, but games from Nintendo's vast catalogue of classics.

Good in theory, but why should I pay for the games I enjoy, again, when I already own the game and the console to play it on.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ennove
if the games you want are available then go for the gamecube.

That's the problem, I don't know anything about the Gamecube or the games.
smily_headphones1.gif
Like I said I've been out of the console world for a pretty good while, and my computer is my primary gaming rig. So are the games for the Gamecube fun for hours on end??

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
smily_headphones1.gif
Like I said I've been out of the console world for a pretty good while, and my computer is my primary gaming rig. So are the games for the Gamecube fun for hours on end??

Like all other consoles, it has its AAA titles. Whether or not they appeal to you noone here can answer as we know nothing of your tastes. I'd recommend going to a gaming webiste and reading reviews in decending order from highest rated to lowest. That will give you a taste of at least what the critics considered to be the consoles best offerings.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 29
My friend went to a local videogame store called the video game exchange, they sold him today a gamecube, came with 3 controllers and a copy of super smash brothers $65, cant go wrong with that.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

So are the games for the Gamecube fun for hours on end??

Depends... it's really a love or hate system. I had a gamecube, played Re4, timesplitters, metroid, some others, didn't wow me. But if you love the n64 selection, you'd probably like the GC.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

hm, i'm probably not the best person for info. first console was the nes. didnt have anything before my xbox360.
in terms of games for the gc, the ones that stand out or i hear most about are the smash brothers and resident evil 4. chibi robo and pikmin looks interesting. i guess first stop would be ign. i know a lot of people dont like ign, but at least theres some info there about gc games. look out for games first. the whole gameplay vs graphics has some truths. i've only played pgr3, doa4 and hitman on my xbox. ds has seen at least twice that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back