Decision between Focal Clear (MG) and Hifiman Arya
Apr 7, 2023 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nicsten

New Head-Fier
disclaimer: my first post on head-fi

Hi Audiopeople,

Im currently trying to decide between the Clear MG and Arya as a Upgrade from my HD6XX. I listen mostly to metal/core/... and sometimes alternativ rock/pop and classical music (mostly piano, no orchestra). Im not looking fo a hyper neutral and analytical HP, but a decent Allrounder with no major weakpoints.

DAC: SMSL SU-8
AMP: Schiit Magni 3

I read plenty of comparisons but still couldn't figure out my concerns with each.

I read the clear don't have the best soundstage and imaging but would be otherwise perfect in my opinion. Is it really that bad? I heard about the clipping but the described sound pressure levels are miles above my limit anyway.

On the other hand the Aryas, while more spacious, seem more picky amp wise and I don't want to upgrade my magni. I also had issues with Hifiman treble before and heard the Arya (or Hifiman in general) are infamous for Driver failures. Also the bass is often described as deep but thin/sterile.

Scince both are quite expensive i also highly value longevity(!) and versatility. Here in Germany the price is comparable. If you consider the used market, clears might be little cheaper. I heard both at a exhibition but couldn't compare them properly.

What do you guys think? Is the soundstage of the clears narrow enough to go for the Arya? Would the Arya won't suit my taste in music anyway? What's the more durable one. Any other Models i should look into?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Apr 7, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 9
I think for what you primarily listen to, the Clear is the better choice.

The Arya is much more open sounding and airy, and I actually prefer it for what I listen to.

For metal, I'd look into the HE6SE v2, though you'd need an amp upgrade to get the most from it. But that total cost should be less than a new Clear or Arya.

Apr 7, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 9
I agree with @msing539

While I absolutely love the Arya Stealth and think it could be an endgame headphone for most people it requires a warmer leaning source. I loved the Stealth on my iFi Gryphon with xBass engaged.

On your source chain especially with the Magni and your genre preferences I’d go with the Clear. It’s got excellent dynamics, super punchy and it slams quite a bit more than the Arya which in my opinion is required when listening to rock or metal.

Another headphone to maybe consider as a 6XX upgrade would be a ZMF Auteur Classic. It’s got excellent staging capabilities, really dynamic and punchy, beautiful build quality and made specifically for your genre preferences.

Apr 7, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 9
I've had the Arya a couple of times, the only issue is the forward upper mids which makes some singers sound a little higher than normal. Maybe the stealth version addressed it, just had the regular V2. At that price it shouldn't need correction.
I currently use the Truthear Crinnacle Zero and they're so good I can't imagine switching to anything else anytime soon. They just need a silent noise floor which I get with the Topping e50 and L30 ii combo.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 9
Do you listen files or Tidal? Or mp3?

Isn't su-8 a pretty decent head amp in it's own right or am I confusing something? Maybe I'm thinking of su-9. Pretty good stuff for metal both of those I imagine.

Clears will definitely have better kick and perhaps PRAT, deeper but smaller soundstage... Aryas will be much more refined especially if you listen to hi res files. Sometimes electric guitars can sound really great with planar magnetic headphones, but the dynamic drivers for me at least always have greater attack and punch in the bass.

So, yeah, if you can get over a little bit softer and rounder bass and listen to either high resolution flacs or DSD or vinyl, you will definitely appreciate Aryas more.

If you listen to mp3s and maybe this goes even for Tidal... You might like the clears more. For me the dynamic drivers always had a more exciting kind of Bass. But planners usually extend better, so it's all trade-offs one way or another. However Arya if you really compare it in an ultimate sense is just a much higher quality transducer.

Also although I used to be really against EQ, I think for metal and Arya you'd definitely want to at least try it. APO Peace on windows works pretty well.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Also HD6XX is an EXTREMELY snappy headphone. HifiMans in general I feel are quite the opposite, they are more relaxed. Good dac and amp make a difference but they are inherently softer. If you dig 6XX for that, you may not appreciate at least not at first the Aryas. However the soundstage will be huge and the planar magic can be awesome, for vocals for el guitars... Extended Low bass.

To me however only utopia and stellia from focal sound as refined as even the cheaper planars from HifiMan or others. Clears don't come close.

HD6XX has it's strengths though. But I found they would hurt my ears whenever I tried turning up the volume a little. Too snappy and immediate for a headphone. Unless low volume listening. And the planar magic wasn't there. I'm rambling but hopefully this is more useful than no response at all.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Do you listen files or Tidal? Or mp3?

Isn't su-8 a pretty decent head amp in it's own right or am I confusing something? Maybe I'm thinking of su-9. Pretty good stuff for metal both of those I imagine.

Clears will definitely have better kick and perhaps PRAT, deeper but smaller soundstage... Aryas will be much more refined especially if you listen to hi res files. Sometimes electric guitars can sound really great with planar magnetic headphones, but the dynamic drivers for me at least always have greater attack and punch in the bass.

So, yeah, if you can get over a little bit softer and rounder bass and listen to either high resolution flacs or DSD or vinyl, you will definitely appreciate Aryas more.

If you listen to mp3s and maybe this goes even for Tidal... You might like the clears more. For me the dynamic drivers always had a more exciting kind of Bass. But planners usually extend better, so it's all trade-offs one way or another. However Arya if you really compare it in an ultimate sense is just a much higher quality transducer.

Also although I used to be really against EQ, I think for metal and Arya you'd definitely want to at least try it. APO Peace on windows works pretty well.
The SMSL SU-8 is just a a DAC as far as i know and SH-8 the corresponding AMP. Don't know about the successor. Wouldn't rule out im completely wrong tho. 😅

I hat issues with hifiman treble before but never owned a planar for that matter. I use Tidal, but a lot of niche metal has awful mixing and/or recording. I think the Arya would elevate those issues, especially the harsh high tones (I'm probably above average sensitive).

Never got into EQ but can imagine to try it.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 9
The SMSL SU-8 is just a a DAC as far as i know and SH-8 the corresponding AMP. Don't know about the successor. Wouldn't rule out im completely wrong tho. 😅

I hat issues with hifiman treble before but never owned a planar for that matter. I use Tidal, but a lot of niche metal has awful mixing and/or recording. I think the Arya would elevate those issues, especially the harsh high tones (I'm probably above average sensitive).

Never got into EQ but can imagine to try it.

Well then clear does sound like a safer bet IMO. And it's a great headphone anyhow.

Jan 2, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Old thread maybe , maybe my first post but a very long term headphone user, pretty much 100%, I am getting old so my Golden Ears are well gone.

I listen lots of classical, lot of piano , the rest is old 70-80 rock plus a bit of folk , Martin Carthy, June Tabor etc.

I had set my ears on the Focal Clear Mg , when I saw a great deal on Arya Stealth , so I bought them , the management committee took pity when I saw an equally great Black Friday deal on the Clears

So I have both plus my old Sennheiser HD800 . Running through a Naim Uniti Atom HE, supplied by Roon/ROCK

I use a pair of Sony WH1000 MX4 and WF1000 MX4 for mobile on BT

Early days but the Arya shines on solo piano , the Focal maybe better dynamics on Rock. Lots more listening to do before a true decision. What is clear is that recording quality plays a big part, a lot older stuff simply distorts especially orchestral.

Still trying to decide balanced or unbalanced as well, but must keep the variables count down, switching is easier with a 6.3 plug for the time being

Keep em all and grow an extra head 😂, solves the problem, initially

Users who are viewing this thread

Back