Decision between Beyer DT990, Grado 125 or Senn HD595 'phones...
May 22, 2006 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rob Goodison

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I need a bit of informed advice regarding suitable 'phones. I've narrowed the search down to three pairs, as follows:

Beyer DT-990 (2006 version)
Grado SR-125
Sennheiser HD595

At the moment, the decision has been made by good reviews, and similar costs (around the £120 mark). I am not in the position to demo any of the 'phones, with the exception of the HD595s.

My source will either be a Linn Classik or Arcam Solo, and listening will be direct from the players headphone out socket. A dedicated headphone amp may be purchased later, but to start with, I just want the convenience of the built-in headphone socket.

My music tastes vary from R.E.M, Grant Lee Buffalo/Phillips, Weezer, Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age to Black Sabbath - basically light acoustic, jangly alternative or heavy rock/metal.

I had a pair of Sennheiser HD600s a little while back, but unfortunately, they didn't survive the house move, and I found the treble to be slightly lacking, and the bass to be not as nimble as I would have liked.

Cosmetics are not an issue, but comfort levels are...but secondary to sound quality.

I don't want overwhelming, massive amounts of bass, but nimble, well defined bass. Splashy treble is a no-no, but I don't want levels that will fatigue. The mid-range is important as I don't want vocals or guitars lost in the mix.

So...what would be the best 'phones for me? If anyone can recommend some other 'phones not on the short list, that cost around the same (or slightly more would be fine) and have good availability in the UK...feel free.

Many thanks for your time,

Rob.

May 22, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 8
HD595: I think this has what you're looking for. It has a little less bass and a bit more treble detail than the HD600. Somewhat brighter and more forward, but maintaining an overall sense of neutrality. It's also extremely comfortable.

DT990 (older edition): Big bass
basshead.gif
, bright treble, somewhat recessed mids. Quite comfy. (Don't know how different the 2006 edition is).

I can't comment on the Grados, since I haven't heard them, but I would point out that usually people here view the SR225 or SR325i as on the same level as these other phones, while regarding the SR125 as a step down.

May 22, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd say based on the statement that you don't have an amp, and might get one someday. (to para phrase). That the Grados are your only real option. The other models you listed won't perform very well without decent amplification. You won't get outstanding comfort with the Grados, but they should give acceptable results from the "headphone out" on your CDP.

- augustwest

May 22, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the input so far, guys...

Regarding the dedicated amp...it all depends on whether or not I can get an ex-display Linn Classik, rather than paying full price for a new unit.

If I can, then it will free up some cash to either get a dedicated amp, or up the budget on the 'phones, which opens up some higher end options that are a tad easier to drive...such as the AKG K701 'phones.

I think I have ruled out the Beyer DT-990s...others have commented on the slightly recessed mid range, and without an option to demo a pair, I think that it will not compliment my music as much as others.

I have read a review of the Linn Classik / Grado SR-125 combination...the Linn Classik has a slightly warm sonic characteristic (as compared to the Arcam Solo), and the Grado's sonic characteristic seemed to compliment it - not that other 'phones would not...

I'll hear tomorrow if I can get an ex-display Linn Classik...if so, the 'phone budget increases to £300...

Damn, this hobby is getting addictive and expensive
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I'd say based on the statement that you don't have an amp, and might get one someday. (to para phrase). That the Grados are your only real option. The other models you listed won't perform very well without decent amplification. You won't get outstanding comfort with the Grados, but they should give acceptable results from the "headphone out" on your CDP.

- augustwest

HD 595 is just as easy to drive as any Grado. Both benefit from amping, but don't absolutely need it.

May 22, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 8
from my experience of the can on top of my head, the 595 doesn't have the type of midrange that you want... and neither the bass, which is smaller, and more controlled but more present than what i think you want. I'd say go for the SR225 if you can, the beyers are too much on top.... have you considered the 501?

May 22, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 8
I just recently bought a used pair of the hd595's and I think they are one of the best sounding headphones I have heard. I have the older 120 ohm version which works great with my tube amps. The bass is solid, fast and dynamic .... the mids are smooth, clean and dynamic .... and the treble is more extended than the 600's but has the same refinement and more dynamic punch .... see a pattern here.
icon10.gif

The 595's are VERY PUNCHY like a grado but less colored with more refinement. Dynamics are very important to me and these phones deliver them. Moreover, the comfort is the best I have tried so far. I have been comparing these to the Grado HF-1 and I definitely like this phone better than the HF-1 .... which is superior to the 125 by a good measure IMO.

I find this headhone is also extremely good on the Headamp GS-1. I dont know how I missed these but this headphone is a steal for the price.
wink.gif

May 23, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Goodison
Thanks for the input so far, guys...
I think I have ruled out the Beyer DT-990s...others have commented on the slightly recessed mid range, and without an option to demo a pair, I think that it will not compliment my music as much as others.

Take a look at the Beyer DT880 (2006 model), I think it has the best mix of liquid mids, crystaline highs, and tight, deep bass. I have the 990pro too, and they just don't compare.

Also consider the Alessandro MS1, MS2 and if your budget can stretch, the MS Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back