Deciding on the Ultrasone HFI-680
Jan 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nowickia

100+ Head-Fier
After more than a month, and numerous hours, of reading things on this site I think I have found the headphone that suites me. Originally I was looking at the Denon AH-D2000, but the suboptimal build quality turns me away from them. I have read that HFI-680s offer quality bass and overall a respectable sound. Additionally, FWIR, they are able to be driven without an amp. I like this idea, however, I do plan on getting an amp in the near future. I understand that it is not the idea choice for critical listeners, but that's not me. I want to listen and enjoy the music rather than judge it. Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

The only other concern I have is the comfort. I am coming from the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, so my guess is that if I can deal with them for hours that I'll be fine with the 680s. Anyone able to comment on that?

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 9
ive got the hfi 780s 35ohm compared to 75ohm of the 680s and they are driven very well by my cowon but even better with the cheapo e5 amp i cant coment on the 680s but the 780s are both accurate and fun at the same time plus i flip the e5 to bass boost now and again and i dont worry about the graphs they just sound so very very good .
btw i got your avatar in vinyl when it first came out

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 9
I mainly use my headphones when working or doing other things on my computer. I've heard that the 780s bump up the bass and aren't quite as accurate as the 680s. I'm coming from a relatively low bass headphone and by the sounds of it, the 680s will have plenty. As for the 750s, I don't think I'm ready to jump to that price category yet seeing as though I can get the 680s for about 100€. Though I have looked into them.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 9
The PRO/Proline 650 are very fun headphones, need 500 hours burn in time...
beerchug.gif

And yes, the gold drivers sound more balance overall...

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 9
I can't speak about the HFI-680s, but I've got a pair of HFI-780s and they're great HPs, amped from my Corda Move or unamped from my Cowon D2 (no sound enhancements, except for BBE at level 1, which is default for me).

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Like the others have said, I've got the 780's not the 680's but I find that the bass is great, definately not to much, if it was any less it wouldn't be enough. They're VERY fun headphones though.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Well I took the chance and ordered the 680s. I price was great and I just like the idea of a smoother headphone that people who have listened to both the 680s and 780s have stated. I'll let people know my thoughts after I receive them.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 9
I've had the HFI-680s for a week now and I am VERY HAPPY! They do have a non-traditional sound, imo. I think that has to do with the goofy plate the is in front of the majority of the driver. However, after getting use to them, and then comparing them to my old headphones, these are a lot more exciting without loosing accuracy. These are my first set of headphones where I can leave the EQ flat and be satisfied. I can't speak for the 780s, but I highly recommend the 680s if someone is looking for a good closed headphone that is built well and is for sale at a great price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back