Deciding on an amp for my SR325is
Jan 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bugbehr

New Head-Fier
Howdy!
First-time poster, but frequent browser. I've been looking around, gathering opinions on what type of an amp would best conform to my listening needs. I listen to a variety of music: Rock (and both its more laid back and heavier subgenres), Jazz, 90's hiphop, and a handful other bass-heavy songs.

So far, I've narrowed things down to the following:

DarkVoice 336SE
Little Dot MKIII
Schiit Asgard
M^3

My budget (ideally) was supposed to be around $400 USD. Little Dot/Schiit/DarkVoice are easier on my wallet, and I'm particularly interested in the Schiit from a design perspective - it would coordinate well with the computer that I'm buildling (I'm using a silver Silverstone Fortress FT-03 case). Simply speaking, I don't find the other three choices as aesthetically pleasing as the Asgard. After reading the Headfonia review, it seems like the Asgard would pair better with SR325is's than the tube Valhalla... Is this actually the case? How would the Asgard compare with the M^3? That is, is the difference night and day?

If I WERE to get a M^3, I would most likely prefer if I purchased it pre-built. What with college and internships, I doubt I'll have the time to just sit down and figure out how to assemble a M^3 without mucking things up. From whom should I buy a preassembled M^3? I've read about a bass boost/controller on an M^3, from one of the SR325+amp threads. Do all of the assembled M^3s come with this feature, or is there a specific name I should be looking out for?

Some DAC recommendations would be greatly appreciated also, since I'm planning on playing music through my computer/laptop.

(Final note: Since my parents are in China right now, the DarkVoice and Little Dot would be quite easy for me to obtain.)

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 5
I don't own Grados but if you do a search you'll find that some folks like the Little Dot 1+ with Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back