Deciding on a headphone amp/preamp
May 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jasper9395

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I am looking for a new headphone amp. I will be pairing it with a HD650 and my Yulong D18 DAC I also require a preamp as I would like to use it in my speaker system. I have already looked at the following options but feel free to add more if you like. I am also very interested in DIY so I am open to DIY suggestions. I would also prefer tubes over solid state. I am currently leaning toward the Little Dot MK IV because of its price and because I would be able to do a bit of tweaking to it. I have also been looking at the bottle head crack but unfortunately it lacks a pre-amp option. From what I understand you can use it as one but it would not be optimal in this role. 

Woo Audio WA3 $620
Little Dot MK IV $309 and the SE version $409
Nu Force HAP-100 $595
Schiit LYR (has an output but its not strictly a preamp right?) $449
Audiio gd SA-31 $499

May 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm definitely curious about this question too actually.

I thought that the Woo WA6 with the pre-amp option (additional $130) might be a good option, which is what I'm leaning towards.

May 6, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 7
the bottlehead crack is another great DIY that is very popular with HD 650s, comparable to the WA3.

May 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 7
Yup, I but how would you use it as a pre amp? Of course you can just use the headphone out but I am not sure what changes have would have to be made to it to preform the task properly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back