Deciding on a few earphones in the $50-$70 range based on my preferences
Jan 26, 2009 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gregory_WE

New Head-Fier
I've never had canalphones/IEMs before (coming from ATH-A500), but I would like some for portability, and plus the A500 is over 3.5 years old and suffering from wear and tear.

Price range: $50-$75, I believe past that I'll be getting diminishing returns and don't want something very expensive that I have to worry about damaging/losing (I tend to be careful/gentle regardless though). I also don't want to spend a lot of $$ and find out I can't stand having something right in my ear canal (I have used earplugs once in my life from what I can remember and found those particular ones very uncomfortable).

Important Factors:
  1. Comfort/Fatigue - The MOST important, I spend long periods of time at a computer working. I care about comfort as in both the physical side of how they rest in my ear, and also how fatiguing the audio output itself is.
  2. Low Maintenance - I don't want to have to replace something (i.e. filters?), but I can be bothered to clean from time to time.
  3. Sound Type - Unfortunately I can't accurately describe my tastes as far as warm, bright, neutral, etc., but here are a few things I like. I enjoy the X-Fi's Crystalizer effect that sharpens up percussion sounds. I like my music to sound very sharp and clear (detailed?). I also like to be able to feel a good beat in songs that have one too. I listen to a lot of rock, but overall, it would probably be best to aim for something that is good all-around, and not far off in any extreme.
  4. Semi-Isolated - Not complete isolation (weird I know). I'd like to be able to hear what someone says if I have my music muted. I've never had IEMs before though so I'm not sure what degree of isolation I'm looking at.
Note: Will be connected to a PC w/ an X-Fi XtremeMusic, my Yamaha piano keyboard, and a Creative Zen Nano Plus while working out (so ideally they'd be well suited for running/weightlifting)

My Options (from doing a lot of searching I've made a short list, other suggestions are welcome though)
  1. Denon C551 - $57. This is the pair I've been leaning towards. I just hope that the bass isn't overwhelming, and if it is I can just modify it with EQ.
  2. Denon C452 - $39. There doesn't seem to be too much info on the 452s, but they're $18 cheaper than the 551s and are likely pretty good for the price since they're only a bit more than the 351s.
  3. Audio Technica CK7 - $59.
  4. Head Direct RE-02 - $55. I see that the Fiio E3 is often paired with these, which would add $10. I also see that this price is much less than it was a while ago. It looks like there's a filter that you have to change though, and supposedly these lack in the bass department.
  5. Sennheisers - There seem to be quite a few models, i.e CX500, CX55, CX95.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 8
I glanced at them a little bit... the NE-7M looks like it could be a good option, although it's odd how it's designed to be used with phones (not something I would be able to use w/ my current cell) and has a microphone. I am also unsure how I feel about the brass-coloring.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 8
I'd go for head direct, haven't heard any thing other then the Senn's on your list, but heard good things about head direct. Or check out Klipsch Custom 1's, you might get around 70, or Shure Scl2.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 8
Shure SCL3s will be right in your range - if you can find them on deal still.

SCL4s little outside - but a fair upgrade (~$80)

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 8
I found the SCL3s for $59, but is there any concern of fakes?

Regardless, though, I'm not sure how I would do with Shures since as I understand it they need to be inserted quite deeply into the ear canal, and since I've never tried and IEM I'd be worried that I'd find it very uncomfortable. A more shallow canalphone may be better for me.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory_WE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the SCL3s for like $60 + shipping, but is there any concern of fakes?

Possibly, but several [related] online places (guitarcenter.com / musiciansfriend.com) had SCL3s in white on sale for $60 December - January (and SCL4s for $80), but everyone seems to have sold out completely.

I bought a pair of the SCL3, but sold them on eBay after 2 weeks. I have small earcanals and they were too big for me, even with smallest tips. The sound was pretty detailed, esp. in the mids, but not enough lower end to be good all-round earphones. I wanted to replace them with SCL4s which is supposed to have some more bass, but they can't be found now for $80.

I most recently have tried the ATH-CK7, but am returning them for sound signature reasons. Very detailed for a dynamic driver, excellent bass extension and speed, but pretty recessed mids, very little warmth, and slightly fatiquing/stressing in the highs -- too clinical sounding for me.

I was looking at the Denon C551 and it gets great reviews, but I'm probably going to get the NuForce NE-7M due to quite a few reviews here about the detail, warmth and SQ of the NE-7M over most other $50-100 earphones.

BTW, the Sennheisers you mentioned (except the CX500) aren't easily available in the US -- mainly the UK/EU.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 8
The RE2s are excellent, especially for $50. They don't have much bass though, and if you don't want them deep inserting, you'll need to use their single-flange tips, which I feel don't have as much bass as the large clear bi-flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back