Deciding, IE8, q-jays, t.fi10..+ 400$budget
Nov 19, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #31 of 43
I may be a little harsh here, but personally, I didn't like the Triple.fi at all. I felt that it had too much bass combined with blurry and uninvolving midrange that just turned me off immediately. I even preferred my modest Yuin PK2 earbuds to Triple.fi. I felt that the PK2 mids were much more focused and bass was more balanced with the rest of the spectrum than on the Triple.fi. For this reason, I also much prefer Shure SE530, Q-jays and Sleek SA6 to Triple.fis - all of them just sound more balanced and natural to me than the Triples.

Note: I actually had M-Audio IE40, not UE Triple.fi, but everyone who tried both seems to confirm that the two sound the same. Also, I did not listen to them amped - just straight out of the headphone outputs of my portable players and Audigy 2 ZS, so an amp may certainly improve their sound quality. However, since they are meant to be used portably, an amp really shouldn't be required for them to sound good.

Just my 2 cents. Remember to take it with a grain of salt as everyone perceives sound differently.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be a little harsh here, but personally, I didn't like the Triple.fi at all. I felt that it had too much bass combined with blurry and uninvolving midrange that just turned me off immediately. I even preferred my modest Yuin PK2 earbuds to Triple.fi. I felt that the PK2 mids were much more focused and bass was more balanced with the rest of the spectrum than on the Triple.fi. For this reason, I also much prefer Shure SE530, Q-jays and Sleek SA6 to Triple.fis - all of them just sound more balanced and natural to me than the Triples.

Note: I actually had M-Audio IE40, not UE Triple.fi, but everyone who tried both seems to confirm that the two sound the same. Also, I did not listen to them amped - just straight out of the headphone outputs of my portable players and Audigy 2 ZS, so an amp may certainly improve their sound quality. However, since they are meant to be used portably, an amp really shouldn't be required for them to sound good.

Just my 2 cents. Remember to take it with a grain of salt as everyone perceives sound differently.

Hmm that's odd I've owned both for over 6 months and I always felt like the SE530 was really bass heavy. Don't get me wrong I'm even kind of a bass head but I always felt like the Shure's were a little muffled. I popped in the Triple.Fi's and instantly liked them better than the Shure's. Oh well what can I say I guess to each his own huh?

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #33 of 43
Thats it really lol. Each to their own! I own and appreciate both, each on their own sonic merits
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm that's odd I've owned both for over 6 months and I always felt like the SE530 was really bass heavy. Don't get me wrong I'm even kind of a bass head but I always felt like the Shure's were a little muffled. I popped in the Triple.Fi's and instantly liked them better than the Shure's. Oh well what can I say I guess to each his own huh?

do you use the olives with the shures or comply?? that may be your issue, rather than the SE530. I found the olives to ruin the SQ totally, I cant stand it when I run out of comply and have to put up with black foamies for even a day. I also found the triples to have too little midrange and harsh highs to my ears. again IMO of course. but as bloodsugar00 says each to their own. the triples are still good IEMs for sure; but not in the same class IMO; at least for my style of music ie: a bit of everything LOL.

but with the subject at hand; screw this comparison; get the westone 3 yaya

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #35 of 43
I find it sad that foams are so much better, as they last so short..
And cost so much for something so cheap
biggrin.gif

I bet the production cost is something like 1/20 of the saleprice, might be I looked at an overpriced shop thou.

Anyhow, waiting the 10-12 days for my new set now seems a long while, it will be fun to see if I have been reading facts or fiction
wink.gif

Westone 3 is supposed to be a custom-mold set right? Or am I mistaken there?

Audio is different to all, as we are built differently, but yet similar. I mean, I like the audio from my current AKG K324P set, which probably is amongst the "low-end" sets with mediocre sound, so I wonder how the triple.fi's will sound
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by soyama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it sad that foams are so much better, as they last so short..
And cost so much for something so cheap
biggrin.gif

I bet the production cost is something like 1/20 of the saleprice, might be I looked at an overpriced shop thou.

Anyhow, waiting the 10-12 days for my new set now seems a long while, it will be fun to see if I have been reading facts or fiction
wink.gif

Westone 3 is supposed to be a custom-mold set right? Or am I mistaken there?

Audio is different to all, as we are built differently, but yet similar. I mean, I like the audio from my current AKG K324P set, which probably is amongst the "low-end" sets with mediocre sound, so I wonder how the triple.fi's will sound
biggrin.gif

The Westone 3 takes a custom eartip but by default it comes with universal tips.

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #37 of 43
Sooo, I am weak today it seems..
Ordered a Sennheiser ie 8 set aswell, probably due to my triple.fi's not having arrived, they should get shipped today I hope..
My shure's not back from repairs yet
biggrin.gif
So I'm longing for headsets here.

Westone 3 looks nice, but I doubt it will be available here in Norway for a while..

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by soyama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sooo, I am weak today it seems..
Ordered a Sennheiser ie 8 set aswell, probably due to my triple.fi's not having arrived, they should get shipped today I hope..
My shure's not back from repairs yet
biggrin.gif
So I'm longing for headsets here.

Westone 3 looks nice, but I doubt it will be available here in Norway for a while..

Haha, that's the way of this hobby- mind that wallet (or don't, maybe it should be!).
beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #39 of 43
Well.
One can only hope for a christmasbonus from work!
biggrin.gif

My wallet will survive, as I will send the least fitting headset back, that should level out most of my financial quarrels with this round of the buy-something-new-fever

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #40 of 43
I think you'll love the fit of the IE8. They're supremely comfortable. Oh, and if you wind up having the TF10 at the same time as the IE8, be sure to try the IE8 black shiny foam tips on the TF10. I hear from soozieq that they fit and are brilliant on the TF's. I'm tempted to try another second-hand pair of the TF10 and see if the IE8 tips help cure the fit issues I had. If they could, I'd be really happy since the TF10's have been probably my favorite on overall sound so far.

Good luck with it all!

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been direct comparisons in the IE8 thread that say the Senn's bass is a bit better...... that's why I was suggesting to scratch them.

The IE8 has only been out a little while - it's not really surprising that some IE8s fans have said they prefer it's bass to the SE530, but I think those comments should be taken with a small pinch of salt. Not many people splash out a couple of hundred quid on an earphone and then say "I don't think it's as good as a different earphone"

When the Sleek Audio SA6 first came out all the threads seemed to proclaim it the best IEM ever, but once the dust settles a bit you start getting some more measured comments.

I'm not suggesting the IE8s aren't great, but would you suggest that the IE8s should be removed from the list if you read that the SE530s were better on a SE530 thread?

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 has only been out a little while - it's not really surprising that some IE8s fans have said they prefer it's bass to the SE530, but I think those comments should be taken with a small pinch of salt. Not many people splash out a couple of hundred quid on an earphone and then say "I don't think it's as good as a different earphone"

When the Sleek Audio SA6 first came out all the threads seemed to proclaim it the best IEM ever, but once the dust settles a bit you start getting some more measured comments.

I'm not suggesting the IE8s aren't great, but would you suggest that the IE8s should be removed from the list if you read that the SE530s were better on a SE530 thread?

It's digging up slightly old turf at this point but you make a sound point, very well. As per my comments earlier in the thread, I am in agreement there. However, it's still early days but the IE8's acclaim has continued to grow, or rather expand, in the thread started by Duncan. Obviously, this game being so subjective, no IEM, even the Westone 3, is gona be the definitive IEM; the senn's will settle down into their niche in this market as an option somewhere along the ladder, if likely near the top/in that top bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back