Deciding Between Specific Headphones for DJ Use
Nov 18, 2009 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

djslik

New Head-Fier
I need a set of headphones specifically for DJ use only. My criteria are as follows:

1. Good Isolation-Need to listen to one ear only while mixing so I have to make out the bass hits and the claps in the song against loud PA speakers at a club or party

2. Durable-The headphones should hold up to the wear and tear of DJ use

3. Easily Replaceable Components- I plan on keeping my phones for a long time and would like to be able to easily replace and repair components such as earpads, headbands, and cables

4. Low Ear Fatigue- Since I will be using these in a loud environment I want to minimize the fatigue to my ears while mixing

5. Hip-Hop, Reggae, and Trance Friendly-This is mainly the type of music that I will be playing.

6. Can be powered by a Pioneer DJM-909 Mixer

The choices I have so far ranked from best to worst in my eyes:

1. Sennheiser HD-25 have the most replacable parts and seem to have a good following. Lot's of claims by DJ's to be bullet proof.
2. Ultrasone DJ1 Pro-Have very good reviews and good replaceable parts
3. Shure SRH8400-Good price point and replaceable parts. I don't know how rugged these are.
4. AKG K81DJ- Very cheap and could be replaced for the same price as getting new cables and pads for the other headphones listed above.

I already own a pair of Grado SR80i's and plan on getting some SR225i or 325i's later for personal listening.

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 61
Think you already answered your question ! Play drum and bass with hd 25 1 and with this type of music is good, they are so punchy and well balanced . They can go really loud without any distortion practically effortless with unbelievable isolation. Ultrasone is give and take game but there is ortofon O one which used ultrasone's engineering and came with new driver which is more balanced than ultrasone dj1 pro(recessed mids).

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 61
I have searched through all the guitar centers and audio places locally and have not been able to demo any of these headphones. I hear great things about both the HD-25 and the Shures. It seems like the Shure's are getting a huge following on here. Hopefully someone that owns the Shures can chime in.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 61
I like the Ortofon O One if they are the exact same thing as the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro in most respects and the driver is as good as that reviews says then I might be sold. The only thing that the HD-25 has going for it is replacement drivers are available. But I don't doubt the Ultrasone/Ortofon headphones are quality pieces that should hopefully hold up.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 61
The SRH840s are very well-built, very heavy solid plastic parts that should be able to withstand lots of wear and tear. Shure also recently recently released a DJ line of headphones - the SRH750 DJ. It's much newer than the SRH840, so there's less buzz, but I've read some very positive things on here about them recently - might be worth taking a look.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by djslik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Ortofon O One if they are the exact same thing as the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro in most respects and the driver is as good as that reviews says then I might be sold. The only thing that the HD-25 has going for it is replacement drivers are available. But I don't doubt the Ultrasone/Ortofon headphones are quality pieces that should hopefully hold up.

The GMP 8.35 and the DJ1 Pro are few levels more advance then the HD-25.
Start with the sound...today I prefer the GMP because I can use them in my studio.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 61
Shure has a new headphone which is specifically meant for dj. That might do better than srh840 for dj use. Also, when you are already considering 200$ headphones, why not also think about AKG k181dj? You can also try out Allen and Heath Xone XD 53.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 61
Man too many good choices out there. Everything that has been said at djforums is that the HD-25 is king and this is coming from other DJ's. I figure since they don't break and work well in a club environment is why they are so popular. I just found the Ortofon O-One's on sale for $130.00 and I might just be swayed in that direction.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 61
The way I saw it in the end when I was looking for 200$ budget DJ headphones, all of those full size circumaural are about the same. They are all rugged more or less. You'll be satisfied with any, trust me, I ended up going with a pair of Denon DN-HP 1000s, about a year ago (if I was to make the choice again today..whole different story..much better products today)

But honestly, everyone will feel like this, its how the market works..you buy and you feel guilty 'cause you dished out a considerable amount of dough..and all of the sudden something seeming "better" comes out....

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 61
Yea I agree with that sentiment completely. I just looked up the Shure headphones and they look great. I hate buying first gen products though because things always need to be tweaked and this is coming from my engineering background. So now it's down to 4.

Ortofon O-One based on the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro design will work with ER-20 plugs for hearing protection $130

Shure SRH750 DJ which are supposedly tuned for bass and treble but will probably not fit the ER-20 plugs $150

HD-25 proven by many many DJ's as being unbreakable and gets the job done but might not work with ER-20 plugs $200

AKG 181DJ- Somehow I overlooked these headphones but every single piece on this headphone is replaceable. $150

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 61
I might get a cheap pair of intermediate phones first while I decide on which of these headphones will work for me. The DBI Pro 700 on ebay seems to be based off of the GMP 8.35 design but the description says 40 ohm drivers. If that is true they might be a good budget pair of headphones while I decide on my permanent pair. What do you guys think?

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 61
HD 25s. End of.

(I have owned the K181DJs before and demo'd the Ultrasone DJ1 Pros).

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #15 of 61
Shure SRH-840's are great, but perhaps much too cumbersome for DJ use. They also have a tendency to slide around when you are wearing them.

x 2 on the HD 25-1 II suggestion! Your search is officially over.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back