Deciding between Meridian 588 and 507
Jun 18, 2003 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

razerx

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade the NAD 520 since I have upgraded everything else. I will be using a Gilmore V2 SA (waiting, waiting, and waiting.....), Cardas Neutral Reference I.C.'s, RS-1, and HD600/Equinox. I listen mostly to rock, some jazz, and a bit of classical. Any recommendations for a CD player around $2000- $3000? Everything else is paid for and I am strictly a head-fi'er and can be a little more generous for the source. Please don't recommend anything used because there is little access where I live. I auditioned the 588 and 507 today at a dealer with speakers and the 588 had a wider sound stage and more detail however it is $1200 more expensive. I have ruled out SACD as my main source since I have more redbook CD's than I would want to repurchase in another format. Thanks in advance.

Jun 18, 2003 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 15
The Classe CDP-10, or the modified Shanling CD-t200 SACD from www.underwoodhifi.com I no you said no SACD but the redbook on the Shanling is beautiful. These players are a little different but on the same level as the 588. Your in a win/win situation. If your set on the Meridian and can afford it, get the 588. I've had a chance to hear alot of meridian cdp's. They have all been very good.

Jun 18, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 15
At $3000 the 588 is beyond the upper limit on what I can afford. If necessary I can sell a few things on ebay to pay for it. I just want to get the best i can barely afford and avoid this upgrade-itis nonsense. I'll check out the Classe. I think I saw a demo last week for $2200.

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 15
razerx,

You can find a 588 on Audiogon for $2000-$2500 fairly easily. The 508.24 and even older iterations are considered by some just as good, if not more relax sounding, and they can get pretty cheap ($1000 for a 506.20). However, I'd suggest you to listen to several CDPs in this category before purchase because the differences are mostly matter of taste.

I personnaly owned a 588 and used it with the PreHead / HD600 / Equinox combo. It was fantastic in terms of detail, soundstage, overall grip. But, it was too revealing to my taste. It's like I was analyzing the sounds rather than enjoying the music. Very strange feeling. The worst for me was to give up on any dogdy recording. Now, the amp I use is quite on the transparent side, and you may not have as much trouble with yours to pair it with a good source.

Since the Meridian 588, I have retro-graded... I am getting a Jolida tube CDP and I'll post my impressions when it's burned in, tuberolled, and stuff. A different league, I paid less than $800 for a new unit, shipped... But who knows, I may be happier with it, especially after I can adjust the tubes to my liking with the rest of the system and my bloody CDs!!?

In the upper price range you're looking at, the one CDP I listened to with the PreHead / HD600 that I really enjoyed was the Audio Reseach CD3. It had all the detail the Meridian could offer but felt much more musical. Not sure how to describe it, but it just seemed to transcript emotions more fluidly. I listened to a BAT VK-D5 through a speaker based expensive tube gear. It was even nicer than the AR CD3, but I could not confirm by listening to the CDP alone...

Arnaud.

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 15
arnuad is right about the CD3 being a great player, it's one of my 3 personal favorite players. If you can't afford it the CD2 is close and can be found on audiogon pretty cheap.

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 15
arnaud,

I should have mentioned I am in Hong Kong where the used market is small and great deals from Audiogon won't do me any good.

I have ordered the Gilmore but I have never heard it. I am just hoping it will be a good match with either the HD600 or the RS-1. I am listening to the HD600/Equinox with the X-CANS v2/Mullard E88cc, X-PSU right now and the warm and uncomplicated sound is making the Stone Roses as with any rock recording sound really good. I understand the Gilmore is completely different and with choices available to me I can switch between amps/headphone combinations for that certain sound depending on what is in the tray. So maybe I am looking for a source that is more transparent and detailed so I can color it with amps and cans. I am new at this and don't really know if it makes any sense.

Jun 18, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 15
I've heard four different models of Meridian and thought they where all wonderful. If you get a chance to hear the Classe cdp-10 check it out I think you will be very impressed. You just can't lose with the players your talking about 588, 507, or the Classe. Take your amp and phones to the dealer and try them.(when your amp arrives)

Jun 18, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 15
You're definitely right! I think if you end up with two very different sounding amps (SS vs. tube), then you'll most likely need a neutral source. I guess you don't have to worry about the level of neutrality in such price range you're looking at.

Quote:

Originally posted by razerx
arnaud,

I should have mentioned I am in Hong Kong where the used market is small and great deals from Audiogon won't do me any good.

I have ordered the Gilmore but I have never heard it. I am just hoping it will be a good match with either the HD600 or the RS-1. I am listening to the HD600/Equinox with the X-CANS v2/Mullard E88cc, X-PSU right now and the warm and uncomplicated sound is making the Stone Roses as with any rock recording sound really good. I understand the Gilmore is completely different and with choices available to me I can switch between amps/headphone combinations for that certain sound depending on what is in the tray. So maybe I am looking for a source that is more transparent and detailed so I can color it with amps and cans. I am new at this and don't really know if it makes any sense.

Jun 18, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by arnaud
You're definitely right! I think if you end up with two very different sounding amps (SS vs. tube), then you'll most likely need a neutral source. I guess you don't have to worry about the level of neutrality in such price range you're looking at.

That was the plan when I decided on the Grado RS-1 and Sennheiser HD600 to be my two main headphones. I wanted yin and yang. I will now have two very different amps and between these four components I can theoretically have four different sonic combinations. I even went for the Neutral Reference interconnect so not to color the source. However the downside is becoming Betty the Switchboard Operator every time I want to enjoy music. Anyway this is part of the fun.

Jun 18, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 15
I would check Audiogon once in a while if I were you -- there are some Hong Kong audiophiles who post ads there occasionally. Also consider that even if you do not know the factory outlets where marked-up Chinese units are made (like the Shanling), you might be able to buy a used one off of someone from Hong Kong on Audiogon or perhaps even ask the person how to get one of those cheaper units.

I use the Meridian 508.20 at home and it's a great player. The 588 is based on the 508's design, whereas the 507 is based on the 506. This means that if you can somehow find a used 508 in Hong Kong, it could conceivably out-perform the newer 507 and should rival the 588.

It might be worth considering the ASL Twinhead Mk2 as an alternative to your two amps as well, considering that Joe Lau lives and works in Hong Kong (I believe) and perhaps you could save as you would not be going through the middle-man (Divergent). I have not done this and don't know if it would be worth the attempt, but it's just a suggestion.

Jun 20, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
Hard to go wrong with a Meridian. Have you considered a Cary player? I have a few friends who own them and love them.

I briefly auditioned a used Cary 303/200 today. I think it has user selectable HDCD and 24/96k upsampling. I looked up www.HDCD.com and saw I only had a dozen HDCD discs out of 300.

Is HDCD something I should consider? Also another question: can I assume an upsampling CDP from 2003 is going to sound "better" than a similarly priced CDP from say 2001?

Jun 23, 2003 at 1:46 PM Post #14 of 15
Thank you everyone for your comments. I brought home a new Cary 303/200 today. It was so heavy I barely got half a block before hailing a cab. I can see in a month's time I will suddenly find my X-Cans distasteful and end up shopping for a new tube amp!
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Congrats!! Very nice purchase. Let us no how you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back