Deciding between FiiO R7, SPL Phonitor XE (with DAC) or Benchmark HPA4
Dec 23, 2023 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HeadFierUsername2022

Previously known as blckmag
Hello,

I would need some help to decide between the Amps in the title.
Yes, I know the price range and (at least sound) quality (when thinking of the HPA4) is to the level of comparing oranges with apples.

But I want to know if it's worth for me to pay that much more. For example the Phonitor is around 2.5x more expensive than the R7, and the HPA4 is of course the top one.

Headphones I will mostly use them with:
Meze Elite
T1 2nd Gen.
DC Aeon 2 Noire

Headphones I hope I will get to use them with:

ZMF Closed (Atrium or Verite)
Dan Clark E3

Thanks in advance!

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 7
I have no experience with R7 or SPL, only with HPA4, which is IMHO end game for headphone listening, if you appreciate neutrality. It provides clean, almost clinical – in a good way – sound. It is the proverbial wire with gain. It also serves as a perfect preamplifier, if needed. But it doesn't fit to someone who seeks some altered tonality, expects that the amp somehow improves the sound by making it warmer etc.

But in general scheme, I'd not spend multiples of price of my best headphone for an amplifier. I believe most money should go to transducer, so from this point of view, HPA4 is maybe overkill in your case. Or, another view, in long term, you'll be done with amps and you can try another HPs in the future.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 7
I have no experience with R7 or SPL, only with HPA4, which is IMHO end game for headphone listening, if you appreciate neutrality. It provides clean, almost clinical – in a good way – sound. It is the proverbial wire with gain. It also serves as a perfect preamplifier, if needed. But it doesn't fit to someone who seeks some altered tonality, expects that the amp somehow improves the sound by making it warmer etc.

But in general scheme, I'd not spend multiples of price of my best headphone for an amplifier. I believe most money should go to transducer, so from this point of view, HPA4 is maybe overkill in your case. Or, another view, in long term, you'll be done with amps and you can try another HPs in the future.
You probably need a good DAC for an 'endgame amp' - which is extra money.

Thanks for your time, btw.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 7
I "ended" (quotes means you never know, so I guess it’s just temporary end) with Hugo TT2 purchased used for 3000 Eur. For this price great value as it is DAC and Amp together. Sonically it’s slightly on warm side of neutral, but I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back