Deciding between ER-6i, UM1, and E3C?
Mar 20, 2006 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jaw3000

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at moving into the IEM market, mainly for the sound isolation, and had a few questions. I'm currently using a PX100, which I find pretty enjoyable, but have wondered if it would be nice to have a little more bass sometimes. I do enjoy it's sound clarity though. I've never tried a Grado S60 to see if it fits my listening style, or if it has too much bass. aI mainly listen to rock/pop, but I do also listen to some instrumental and classical where the clarity of the PX100 shines through, and is especially nice. I also currently own a Sony EX-51, which I find to be less than ideal. To me, it's sound clarity is lacking, very muddled and thin, and sometimes seems like it has too much bass. I've also had a problem getting a good seal with it, but the previous description still applies when I do have a seal. Hopefully, the IEM models I'm looking at would be drastically better than what I just described.

I've narrowed my search down to the ER-6i, E3C, UM1. From reading all the different posts, I've gotten the consensus that out of the above, the ER-61 would give me the best sound clarity, but is more fragile, requires more maintenance (filters), and had a shorter warranty. The UM1 seems to be more comfortable than the ER-6i, which is always good, and has more bass. Besides for the 2 year warranty, it seems both the UM1 and ER-6i would be overall better choices than the E3C, especially when sound quality is concerned. I then read about the im716, which supposidly has supperior sound to the previously mentioned, but is difficult to drive without an amp (I use an iPod Nano) and tips are hard to find. Would you agree with these assumptions? So, as you can probably imagine, I'm pretty confused on which one to order. Hopefully, you guys can give me some suggestions and opinions to help make up my mind?

Thanks for your help!
-Jeff

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 9
All three would be clearer than the Sony's, that's for sure. I have all the in-ears you mention but the Westones -- and the UM1's might suit you the best.

The Ety's aren't necessarily fragile -- but they might seem so to you (they're smaller and lighter than the Sony's and the other in-ears, for one thing). When you have a good fit, the isolation is excellent. With good isolation, they don't seem all that bass-shy (the ears can adapt). I think these are particularly good for listening on airplanes or loud public transportation.

I got the E3C's partly for the sturdier-seeming cable. I consider this a good choice for everyday listening -- a clear cut (or two) above the Sony's. I use these on airplanes, too.

Try to find out more about the Westones ... the braided cords and build quality, as well as the sound quality.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 9
I have not had the Etys but I have had the other two.

UM-1 and E3C sound very similar but I prefer the E3C for a little better soundstage but either one is a nice step up from what you are use to. They are equally comfortable.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 9
i've got the um1 and a friend of mine has the e3's. they are very similar. The build quality is about the same. The um1 has a bit more bass, it's a bit personal if you like that or not.

One difference is that shure's warranty is two years and the um1's is only one year

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw3000
I then read about the im716, which supposidly has supperior sound to the previously mentioned, but is difficult to drive without an amp (I use an iPod Nano) and tips are hard to find.

The iM716 doesn't need to be amped but will sound better with an amp. Basically, unamped from an iPod nano, you'll have to turn the volume higher than you would with most other headphones, but it'll sound fine and be able to play louder than you need. Apparently ER-6i tips fit the iM716.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 9
I appreciate your responses! The isolation of the ER-6i does appeal to me, as I would be using it on a plane. How does the isolation of the UM1 and E3C compare? The consensus, as far as I can tell, is that the ER6i sounds better than UM1/E3C, but the latter have more bass, making them "funner." I haven't been able to tell a clear consensus on whether the E3C or the UM1 sounds better. If the two are equal, it may come down to the two-year Shure warranty, but apparently the UM1 is more comfortable. I also can't get a clear consensus on how comfortable the ER6i is - some people say it is, some say it isn't. Maintenance is also something I'm worried about. My ex-51's always seem to get covered with wax, and their difficult (if not impossible) to clean. How do these IEM's do as far as this is concerned (especially the filter on the ER6i; how does this work)? Does the UM1 accept Shure or entymotic tips?

I can get the ER6i for $85, while the UM1/E3c would be about $20-25 more. I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to spend the extra money for the UM1 or E3C.

Thanks for your help!

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 9
I too moved straight from PX100's to UM1's and there won't be more bass on the UM1's - substanially less - actually, but the bass is far tighter. In time I think you'll grow to enjoy the tighter bass, especially on long and complex drum parts. The UM1's will take Shure tips, but the etys I believe only take their own tips.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 9
The iM716 compared favorably to other phones in and above its price range.

Some qualms include the inefficiency and tips:

1- The inefficiency is really not so bad, and addressed by MonkeyA**Sucka in a previous post. If you insist on blasting away at tinnitus inducing levels, get the very best behaved phones you can.

2- As for the tips, ER6i (not ER6) tips certainly, and probably ER4 tips will fit the iM716. If you prefer the foamies and don’t mind DIY, see the thread “Make Your Own Shure and UM2 Foamies!”. It is likely these could be used for any of the phones you mention:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=shure+foamies

I have tried some of these methods and will be comparing E-A-R Originals, and Grande (dense PVC yellow foamies, look similar to the ER4 large), 3M 1100s (tapered urethane foam, softer than PVC, looks similar to the ER6i medium foam tips), and the Hearos super soft (urethane, purportedly similar to the Westone tips, very soft and squishy).

These are inexpensive, and relatively easy to make, but importantly, affords you the opportunity to try other earplugs that may be more comfortable in your particular ears (see the ear plug store link at the top of this page under sponsers for the possibilities). If you really like the foamies you currently use, $1 a pop is really not bad. Trust me on that. I consider it a fair and reasonable price. FYI- It took me some time and a few throw aways before I got it right. Plus, you really need to enjoy a DIY project.

I hope to be reporting on this sometime soon. Need to figure how to post photos as well.

Later-

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw3000
I'm currently using a PX100, which I find pretty enjoyable, but have wondered if it would be nice to have a little more bass sometimes. I do enjoy it's sound clarity though.

I then read about the im716, which supposidly has supperior sound to the previously mentioned, but is difficult to drive without an amp (I use an iPod Nano) and tips are hard to find. Would you agree with these assumptions?

Thanks for your help!
-Jeff

Check out Gino's posts (Gino). He owns a PX100, and I think PX200, and has mentioned them in relation to the iM716.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/member.php?u=5411

Good luck in whatever you decide upon. All good choices, and all far better than the original buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back