Deciding between a few new IEMs...need help.
Aug 7, 2010 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fanboysareevil

New Head-Fier
Hello there Head-Fi, I'm writing this because my previous IEMs (Monster Turbine Pro Golds) were unfortunately brought to an early grave by a small, fanged creatures that inhabits my home.  Because of this, I"m now in the market for new IEMs, and am having difficulty on deciding between a few choices.  As for my preferences, I like something with a big, open soundstage, powerful, thumping bass that DOES NOT overpower the rest of the music (main complaint with the MTPG), with preferably forward mids and trebel that is "bright" (perhaps even beyond what a lot would like) without being "harsh".  They will be played unamped (or very cheaply amped) from my (I think) 5th and 7th gen iPods.  As for price, I've only got about 175$ to spend on these, so I am prohibited from buying some higher end models. 

The pair I've looked most closely at so far are the Radius DDMs and the Fischer Audio DBA-02s.  They seem within my price range and most tend to agree that they have very good sound.  I am, however, worried about a few things on both of these.

1.  Will I be able to make warranty claims to a Japanese company if I'm in the CONUS if I buy the DDMs?  I don't want to have these for 3 months like the golds.
2.  I've heard the DBAs really need an amp to shine.  Could I do alright with something like a cheap FiiO or would I need something better, that could potentially drive them out of my pricerange? 
3.  I've heard the DBAs are just a little weak (relatively speaking) in terms of soundstage.  This is quite important to me; anyone who has them care to shed some light?
4.  Just HOW BAD are the ergonomics of the DDMs?  Isolation isn't that important, and I usually find all IEMs roughly equal in terms of feel, but do they fit poorly enough to really hurt my listening experience?

And of course, what other phones would you guys suggest?  Not a big fan of the S4 I see rec'd here sometimes and I'm looking for something maybe a little higher end than the RE0, but I'm sure I've overlooked some other common recommendations.  How is the Panasonic HJE or whatever?

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 17
Will Monster not warranty your golds?  I know they replace them one time due to accidental damage, but I don't know what the limitations are of that.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 17
Where did you hear that the DBAs really need an amp to shine?  Unless I forgot it, I read the whole 88 page review thread multiple times and that wasn't the impression I got from it.  I'm sure an amp would help, but I was thinking they performed well without one.  Mine aren't here yet so I can't speak from experience. 

What type of music do you listen to?

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 17
After reading reviews on IEM i would recommend DBA-02 for SQ and better fit then the DDM
You really cant recommend a IEM with music genre, but we will get an idea what type of IEM you want.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Where did you hear that the DBAs really need an amp to shine?  Unless I forgot it, I read the whole 88 page review thread multiple times and that wasn't the impression I got from it.  I'm sure an amp would help, but I was thinking they performed well without one.  Mine aren't here yet so I can't speak from experience. 

What type of music do you listen to?

I'm probably accidently thinking of another IEM in (I believe it was Joker's) 95 IEM review page; I looked at lot there, and researched the ones I liked more.

As for music...I guess you could call me a metal head, but really I listen to a decent bit of classical and rock as well, as well as a sprinkling of bazz, folk, and some blues.  If you count jazzy prog, then the jazz goes from a "sprinkling" to quite a bit.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 17
I've been using DBA-02's for several months direct from either Blackberry Curve (music on microSD; what I'm using at this moment) or iPod Classic - no amp, and no desire to use one in the future. I'm so pleased with everything about these that I just ordered another pair as backups. They don't appear to be fragile in any way, but I'd rather not be without them if something did happen. My musical tastes are highly eclectic (no rap or hip-hop, and not sure if I have anything classified as "trance", but just about everything else) and I'm constantly thrilled with how these present the music. My best summary of a "bottom line" for DBA's is that they disappear, leaving your head (and sometimes beyond) filled with the tunes.

I'm probably not the best judge of soundstage, but I haven't found anything small or limited with these. Several with RE0's (never had those myself) have mentioned that the DBA's are much better in soundstage (and bass quantity) than that highly revered IEM.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 17

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 17
If the DBA sounds harsh to you, you are using the wrong tip. They sound harsh (downright sibilant) to me too, when I use a short tip (any material), but when I switch to a long tip (triple flange or custom tip), they are never, ever harsh. For others, the reverse is true. Ear canal differences, I guess.

Quote:
radius ddm is the way to go
dba02 sounds a bit harsh to me but nevertheless excellent treble quality

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
If the DBA sounds harsh to you, you are using the wrong tip. They sound harsh (downright sibilant) to me too, when I use a short tip (any material), but when I switch to a long tip (triple flange or custom tip), they are never, ever harsh. For others, the reverse is true. Ear canal differences, I guess.

sounds just a little bit but they possess good treble quality and are less sibilant than hje900 or ps 200. Yeah could also be ear canal sizes and depth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back