Decided to take plunge on UE-10 Pro...
Apr 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

2deadeyes

1000+ Head-Fier
...now I need my impressions taken & seeking assistance from fellow members that had their impressions taken near the NYC area for UE. I used UE's audiologist referral system and got a few near my area. However, I prefer going to one that fellow members have had experience with.

The one closest to my area is this one:

Save on Hearing Aids, Inc.
63-13 Woodhave Boulevard
Rego Park, NY 11374

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Many thanks!

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 17
Yeah, it's a pretty simple and straightforward process, so any audiologist will do.

In addition to keeping my mouth slightly open, my audiologist recommended that I move my jaw from side to side a couple of times just after he inserted the "ear goo".

Not sure if it helped or not, but I did get a perfect fit the first time around.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 17
I had them done in very late March and went to the place at:

45 East 72nd Street
New York, NY 10021

I used the recommendation link on UEs Web site.

I'm still awaiting the final result (the PHONES) but the woman who took my impressions seems to know what she was doing. ALSO, she said that if anything were wrong with them I could come back and have them redone for free.

Hope this helps!

-T

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 17
fyi - ue's audiologist referral system simply lists all the sonus locations in your area...not all of them necessarily have experience creating a custom ear mold for an iem.

whichever audiologist you choose, it's a good idea to call ahead of time to schedule an appointment. when doing so, make sure you ask if they have the capability to do a custom ear mold out of SILICONE. to be on the safe side, make sure they have bite blocks as well. it is also a plus if they use cotton dams instead of foam when doing the molds.

when you go in for your appointment, make sure you have a printout of ue's impression instructions from their website to present to the audiologist doing your impressions. if you have time, take advantage of the free hearing test as well (offered via ue's .pdf printout).

hope that helps
cool.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Even if you don't get the fit right the first time UE's customer service is awesome. I've sent mine back many times, even about a year later and they are always willing to help you get them fit just right. I am happy with the way they fit now and especially how they sound
smily_headphones1.gif
. Enjoy!

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 17
UE is releasing a new earphone in the very near future, its generating a bunch of buzz at ilounge. It may be a custom phone; no one knows for sure. I'd hold off on the the UE10's until these are announced--whatever these wind up being, they may be better for DAP's than the UE10's.

I own the UE10's, and I love them, but they do have a few minor flaws. These may be a home run, and I'd hold off until UE announces them--or at least call them before buying the UE10's; they may recommend you wait.

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 17
Just called but the rep wasn't aware of any new product launches in the near future D:

She did recommend that I wait (as expected) to confirm what the product will be...argh

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if you don't get the fit right the first time UE's customer service is awesome. I've sent mine back many times, even about a year later and they are always willing to help you get them fit just right. I am happy with the way they fit now and especially how they sound
smily_headphones1.gif
. Enjoy!

Wait, I thought their policy was that outside of the 30 day refit period, you had to pay to get them refitted? If you're implying that you got the remolds for free, then did UE change their policy?

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, I thought their policy was that outside of the 30 day refit period, you had to pay to get them refitted? If you're implying that you got the remolds for free, then did UE change their policy?

I don't think their policy has changed since all this took place last year. I did contact them within the first 30 days and they were happy to assist me from then on since I wasn't able to get a correct fit. They also offered in the beginning to get new impressions done, but I just had a little bit tweaked each time instead.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the flaws with the UE-10s?!

Let me qualify this first: I love the UE10's, and the flaws are personal--its not quite the perfect sound signature for my taste, but its the closest I've been able to come in an IEM. Its by far my favorite IEM (I came from Ety 4P's, and the UE10 just annhilates them IMHO. I used to love the Ety's, but I have a hard time listening to them after the UE's--the bass is so much better in the UE's--both in quantity, accuracy and depth, that when I listent to the Ety's, I find myself turning up the volume to get a bit more bass, and in the process the highs become so harsh the Ety's sound harsh and tinny.
Just my take, not trying to flame the ety's, I know many people still love them). I have not heard the new Shure E500's (But I really didn't like the E5C) or the new triplefi.pros; I've got to get to a guitar center sometime to check these out.

But the UE's do suffer slightly from being very analytical--they're warmer than the ety's, but not quite as warm as I think they should be for casual listening. They sound like what they were originally used for--singers listening to themselves on stage. I still love them, and for certain types of music, they are mind numbingly good, but for others--hard rock, especially during workouts--I find myself going to the (new) pmx-100's, of all things. I actually prefer the pmx's for this--they're not nearly as accurate as the UE's but they're much warmer, and to my ears, very natural sounding. Everything else, I'd go with the UE's--great for jazz, acoustic, light rock/pop, etc. If I'm really trying to find something in a song, the UE's are unbeatable. But for less intense, casual listening, they can actually be too intense. I've come around to this after owning the UE's for a couple of years.

I had the UE5c's before the UE10's and hated them--couldn't stand the sound signature; the bass was way too bloated (UE allowed me to send them in and upgrade to the 10's, which is what I should have ordered in the first place). So what I'd like is a bit more bass (but not as much as the UE5s), a bit less vocals (they're a tad too far forward), a slight boost to the mids (guitars), and otherwise leave the highs as is, which are IMHO perfect.

It'll be really interesting to see what UE has come up with; I suspect it will be warmer than the UE10's, and designed more for consumers rather than the stage. It will probably be ergonimically improved; while the UE's are comfortable, there is room for improvement for aesthetics, for both the 10 and triplefi (the Shure E500's on the other hand look superior ergonomically to the UE's; I'm sure UE has taken notice of this)--and I bet UE will be all over this. I wouldn't be in a rush to by them--not with the UE10's, which are still fantastic, but it would probably be my next purchase if my UE's ever die.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmt1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me qualify this first: I love the UE10's, and the flaws are personal--its not quite the perfect sound signature for my taste, but its the closest I've been able to come in an IEM. Its by far my favorite IEM (I came from Ety 4P's, and the UE10 just annhilates them IMHO. I used to love the Ety's, but I have a hard time listening to them after the UE's--the bass is so much better in the UE's--both in quantity, accuracy and depth, that when I listent to the Ety's, I find myself turning up the volume to get a bit more bass, and in the process the highs become so harsh the Ety's sound harsh and tinny.
Just my take, not trying to flame the ety's, I know many people still love them). I have not heard the new Shure E500's (But I really didn't like the E5C) or the new triplefi.pros; I've got to get to a guitar center sometime to check these out.

But the UE's do suffer slightly from being very analytical--they're warmer than the ety's, but not quite as warm as I think they should be for casual listening. They sound like what they were originally used for--singers listening to themselves on stage. I still love them, and for certain types of music, they are mind numbingly good, but for others--hard rock, especially during workouts--I find myself going to the (new) pmx-100's, of all things. I actually prefer the pmx's for this--they're not nearly as accurate as the UE's but they're much warmer, and to my ears, very natural sounding. Everything else, I'd go with the UE's--great for jazz, acoustic, light rock/pop, etc. If I'm really trying to find something in a song, the UE's are unbeatable. But for less intense, casual listening, they can actually be too intense. I've come around to this after owning the UE's for a couple of years.

I had the UE5c's before the UE10's and hated them--couldn't stand the sound signature; the bass was way too bloated (UE allowed me to send them in and upgrade to the 10's, which is what I should have ordered in the first place). So what I'd like is a bit more bass (but not as much as the UE5s), a bit less vocals (they're a tad too far forward), a slight boost to the mids (guitars), and otherwise leave the highs as is, which are IMHO perfect.

It'll be really interesting to see what UE has come up with; I suspect it will be warmer than the UE10's, and designed more for consumers rather than the stage. It will probably be ergonimically improved; while the UE's are comfortable, there is room for improvement for aesthetics, for both the 10 and triplefi (the Shure E500's on the other hand look superior ergonomically to the UE's; I'm sure UE has taken notice of this)--and I bet UE will be all over this. I wouldn't be in a rush to by them--not with the UE10's, which are still fantastic, but it would probably be my next purchase if my UE's ever die.

I've read similar opinions from others who moved to Sensaphonic 2X-S because they were desiring a less vocal forward and less analytical. Have you had any experience with the 2X-S?

I am a vocalist and choosing between 2X-S and UE-10 Pro's. I am in Chicago now for a gig and decided to stay an extra day to get an impression done at the Sensaphonic headquarters but I seem to be vacillating between these products on a review by review basis
confused.gif
Every time I have called UE, I get some lady who seems annoyed I am asking questions. I am actually giving them an opportunity to sell me and I feel like I am pulling teeth. When I called Sensaphonics, Heather, the audiologists gave me as much time as I needed and took time with me...so I made the appointment.

What bothers me is all the durability issues with the 2X-S. I work out 2 hours /day and need to block the world away to maximize my time sweating. I also travel almost weekly and don't want to be bothered so I wear IEMs. Durability issues would be a major inconvenience but comfort is king since pulling customs out in a crowd because they are not feeling comfortable or not sitting right because of sweat would be equally disconcerting.

All in all, life is good when this is our biggest confusion but any help from other performers or experienced owners with the same habits would be great. By the way, is there a better custom IEM for movie watchers? Would the third driver in the UE-10s make a difference for awesome LFEs?

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...now I need my impressions taken & seeking assistance from fellow members that had their impressions taken near the NYC area for UE. I used UE's audiologist referral system and got a few near my area. However, I prefer going to one that fellow members have had experience with.

The one closest to my area is this one:

Save on Hearing Aids, Inc.
63-13 Woodhave Boulevard
Rego Park, NY 11374

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Many thanks!

Cool info! I live less than ten minutes from there. I agree that you should call and check them out first though.

I think the UE10's are a no-brainer but with the Westone 3 custom and new UE announcement maybe waiting a bit might be prudent(although difficult).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back