Decided to enter the land of full size, overwhelming a little help guys?
Feb 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SplashArtist

Head-Fier
Hey everyone on this side of the forum! (I usually stick to the portable forums lol) So its about time I enter the full size headphone game. I'm looking for some awesome bang for your buck cans for 100-300 max, I was going to go for a pair of hd25's but I've decided to go over the ear for home listening. I've looked a bit and found hd598's to be a good phone , I'm even down for headphones under 100 if they are good enough to show me what full sized  headphones are capable of. Im currently listening to my gr07's and bloc m2c's and I enjoy the neutral, detailed, but with a bit of fun factor as I listen to music for enjoyment not to criticize everything I listen to. So a can with ssome sub bass you can feel is fine as long as it doesn't bleed into the other spectrum of the sound. Spacious sound with good soundstage would be nice too. Thanks everyone!

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 7
What about the Brainwavz HM5 / FA 003?  Price is right smack in the range, hell, even if you throw in a DAC / headphone amp, it's still in the range :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 7
How well do they do hip hop and dubstep? I listen to all types of music so I want a phone that can handle most genres well.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Anyone have experience with hifiman he-400's?

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
How well do they do hip hop and dubstep? I listen to all types of music so I want a phone that can handle most genres well.

Heya,

The HM5//FA003 can hit sub-bass for dub. I have a pair. They're neutral but can really hit some bass with authority, they're not lite by any means. Good sound stage, very good passive isolation. Very comfortable. Detachable cables. Big deep cups. Great headphones. They are at their best when amplified, I found the bass deepended, enriched, and sped up with some juice behind them. Fiio E10 should do it.

Brainwavz HM5
Fiio E10

Alternative headphones to explore: Beyer DT990 PRO (bassy, sparkly treble), Beyer DT880 PRO (neutral, but bass-capable), AKG Q701 (neutral, on the warm side), Ultrasone 2400 (bassy, treble is smooth for an Ultrasone), Hifiman HE-400 (neutral, warmish, some bass emphasis), and Denon D2000 (neutral, a slight sparkle to treble, monstrous sub-bass capability).

And they'll all run on that E10.

Very best,

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks! Thoughts on the he300? Those seem pretty promising aswell. I have a fio e1 for portable use

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm going to pop on the hm5's 119 bucks free shipping to good to resist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back