Decided on the Senn 595's... now what?
Mar 25, 2004 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ProParadox

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I decided I'd like to get the Sennheiser 595's. I was planning to buy from headphone.com, but if you guys have a better/cheaper place to buy, let me know. Hopefully these will suit me well.

My next questions are as followed:

I plan to use these at college, and I am building a new computer for college. What sound card is best for me?

My second question is regarding my Logitech Z 680's. I am not sure whether it would be better to plug my headphones directly into my sound card (hopefully the one suggested by you), or through the headphone outlet on the speakers. I would prefer to use the one on the speakers, as its easier to access.

Lastly, regardless of which path I use to connect the headphones, do I need an amplifier? If so, which one would you suggest?

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 9
If you must plug in headphone directly without a dedicated headphone amp, use the sound card's. I have found many speak's headphone out to be distorted.

-Mike

Mar 25, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by gort
Since you're looking for soundcard and amp, take a look at Bithead from headphone.com. Is USB soundcard and amp in one.

The problem with this is that i also would like to be able to connect my speakers to the same sound card. I beleive them to be decent speakers and although I'll be in a dorm room, i still plan to use the speakers.

Mar 25, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 9
If price isn't a consideration, I would highly suggest you pick up an Audigy 2 for gaming (if you are a gamer) and an RME 96/6PAD for music and movies. Edwood has this config in his computer and can run both. Most audio programs will allow you to select the soundcard you use so you can pick even if the system is configured to default to the other.

I would highly recommend against running the headphones off any speaker output. I believe both cards have the ability to run digital out and if I remember correctly so does your speakers so just hook them up that way and run the headphone rig off the analog jack.

As far as amping goes, it is my experience that a good headphone amp is generally necessary to bring out the full potential of a pair of headphones. If however, you have to pick between getting a high quality source and an amp, get the source first then pick up the amp later. The 595's are pretty easy to drive so if you have to go this route, you'll be okay. There is just one thing, I honestly can't remember if the RME has a 1/8 or 1/4" jack to run your headphones off of. Hmmmm... I'll have to check.

Mar 25, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
There is just one thing, I honestly can't remember if the RME has a 1/8 or 1/4" jack to run your headphones off of. Hmmmm... I'll have to check.

It's a 1/4 incher
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm assuming you are talking about this sound card. I'm not a heavy gamer at all, and ill be using this in a shuttle box, so ill only have one PCI slot.

*Ouch, just saw the price.... lets keep the sound card around or below $200*

EDIT:
I thought of another idea...

My current soundcard is an Audigy... what are your thoughts on it? I could keep it, use the digital out for the logitech z680's, and use the analog connection for my headphones. I could switch between outputs pretty easily with the included software. This would leave a bit more money for a headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back