decibel reader!
Jul 29, 2006 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iluvcans

100+ Head-Fier
after reading many troublesome posts here in respect to sound levels-- i thought i might offer a suggestion to those that have the sense to question if the levels of sound that they're listening to are harmful:

BUY A DECIBEL READER
tongue.gif

they're cheap (like $40) and so self-assuring.

http://www.digitalproducer.com/artic...e.jsp?id=29940

i bought one at a radio shack about a year ago-- and it has come in handy on several occasions-- where i never would have guessed (when i bought it). now, i'm not some geek that carries it in their back pocket all the time-- but there's been a few times where it's saved me-- as i couldn't tell if the sound exposure might prove harmful or not.

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
I actually wrote up a guide on how to accurately measure the SPL of headphones:

http://www.seanmulholland.com/arc/08...headphones.php

--Illah

Thanks for the nice guide. I usually like to crank the volume up on some songs, but I keep thinking "is it too loud ?" and turn it down after a few seconds.

I might as well buy a complete weight set and start working out
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 9
So I got an SPL Meter and found out I was listening to music well below 85 dBs and even then I thought 85 was too loud. Knowing this I measure the dB's with the SPL meter everytime I feel like listening to a little bit louder. I can't stand anything beyond 90 dBs it gets a little too loud for me.

I've also never had an 8 hour listening session or even 6 hours so I feel safe that my hearing will be okay. I was going to return this SPL meter since I felt it was too much to just measure sound levels but I think I'll use it when I feel like listening to music a bit louder and measure it just in case and then time how long I've been listening to it for.

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 9
you might find it'll help at other odd times.. we just had a baby and i had him in a room with lots of fans/ air conditioner/ tv was on (it's hot as hell here in cincy in july!). just to be safe-- i checked the sound level and it was below 80db (amazing peace of mind though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back