Decent travel headphones (probably on ear)
Aug 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mjscall

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some half decent headphones to use on holiday.

I've got some Q701's for home use that I already have a Fiio E17 for, so don't mind having to use an amp with them.

I have been toying between a few options for a new set:

1) An almost throw-away set that look cool (£25-£30), that will just be comfortable but not fussed about sound quality. So cheap skullcandy ones or something like that

2) A set like the Senheisser HD25 that I would still use at home (not sure if they would be different enough to the Q701's to be worth having both though, but would def be good while travelling etc)

3) Something inbetween that I have no ideas for yet

I've already got some decent-ish IEM's but I'd like the comfort of on-ear for travel

Any advice appreciated (and needed!)

Cheers

Matt

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 6
JVC HA-S500 (or HA-S400) folding headphones.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 6
You really need to decide on a budget to work within first. For travel, you probably want something closed, portable, comfortable, and affordable, because you could break or lose them easily. Sound quality in this case would be alot lower on the list. I would stick to on-ear designs because they are a perfect blend of portability and comfort. Not too small to get lost either (in-ears). Nothing in this category under $400 will best your 701's in terms of sound or comfort. Without knowing the budget, below are some good options:

1. AKG K 81 - $54
  2. Sennheiser HD 203 - $50
  3. Sennheiser HD 229 - $80

Any of those will sound/look great, while being portable and comfortable enough, without breaking the bank. So you won't be raging if/when you lose/break them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back