decent stereo RCA with short connectors???
Aug 23, 2007 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

coho66

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a quality rca cable that uses short connectors that will fit between the back of a car dvd player and the back of the dashboard interior.

I've actually got some belden lc-1 with canare RCAP's from bjc but the canare connectors are too long to fit....and as such am now in the inconvenient boat of looking for something else.

Cost isn't really an issue...

Any suggestions?

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by coho66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a quality rca cable that uses short connectors that will fit between the back of a car dvd player and the back of the dashboard interior.

I've actually got some belden lc-1 with canare RCAP's from bjc but the canare connectors are too long to fit....and as such am now in the inconvenient boat of looking for something else.

Cost isn't really an issue...

Any suggestions?

I take it that you mean that the crimped metal sleeve of the Canare RCAP (the part under the rubber "boot") makes the plug too "deep"?

Actually, with any kind of strain relief, most straight RCA plug housings are even deeper than the Canare RCAP from the tip of the pin to the far end of the crimp sleeve.

Do you have to go to something like this, perhaps?

~SwcrSW3502RABAU.jpg

Switchcraft SW3502RABAU right angle plug........$4.49 each at audiogear.com (source of the photo) or Markertek.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 11
"I take it that you mean that the crimped metal sleeve of the Canare RCAP (the part under the rubber "boot") makes the plug too "deep"?" -yup...too long

and right angle adapters won't work because i have 3 sets of jacked stacked vertically above each other...

that switchcraft plug would work for the bottom pair but not for the other 2 pairs above the bottom pair of outputs...

i would prefer to simply buy cables as i don't have the time nor patience to diy right now

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 11
I think you have a pretty big problem. There just aren't that many high quality connectors that are very shallow, because the concept behind them is to provide adequate strain relief....via limiting the bend radius....which, no matter what the dimension of the plug housing, requires depth.

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you'll want shielded cables for the car.

x2.

Can you stack your components outside of the car, even roughly, and take a picture so we can maybe see the issue more clearly?

The reason that I suggested the right angle plug is that I thought that you might be able to orient the right angle jacks so that the "U" bend in the cable would be flat against the back of the components rather than perpendicular to the back....but I can imagine that the particular vertical grouping you have screws that idea!

Could it be that a combination of right-angle and straight jacks would work?

Shallowest straight RCA I have seen is a Switchcraft 3502, only available in nickel, though:

http://www.switchcraft.com/products/..._schematic.pdf

That shows the total depth as about 15/16" from the "front" of the ground sleeve to the "back" of the housing. I'm sitting here playing with a piece of Mogami starquad, and I'd guess that you need another 3/4" on top of that to avoid kinking the cable. Do you have 2" clearance from the back of the components to the obstruction?

Thinking about strain relief, though....again, not being able to see your installation first-hand.....it's not as if these cables are going to be moved a lot, so maybe that isn't such a big concern.

I would solder some up for you with whatever components would work best if you don't find an off-the-shelf solution if you don't have the time or tools.

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by coho66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and right angle adapters won't work because i have 3 sets of jacked stacked vertically above each other...

Point them out at an angle rather than straight down?

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 11
First off, thanks a lot for the responses so far....much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you'll want shielded cables for the car.

-yup, agree there.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have 2" clearance from the back of the components to the obstruction?

-no...not sure of exact clearance but it's likely less than that.

Quote:

Could it be that a combination of right-angle and straight jacks would work?

-maybe...right angles could work for the lowest output pair, and maybe the left output of the two pairs above the lowest...they could point laterally in the direction of the chassis.

Quote:

I would solder some up for you with whatever components would work best if you don't find an off-the-shelf solution if you don't have the time or tools.

-thanks...i appreciate the offer, and will keep it in mind...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Point them out at an angle rather than straight down?

-see above suggestions & replies with sejarzo

In spending a little bit of time snooping around at what manufacturers offer....i've seen 2 that seem like they miiight work. Namely those offered by

jl audio:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...l.php?cat_id=6

and even better...some offered by monster:

http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/prod...&section=three

Users who are viewing this thread

Back