decent speakers for a laptop setup?
Mar 3, 2009 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

n0ah

100+ Head-Fier
these $15 creative ones are no longer up to standard. i'd still be listening to music on headphones 95% of the time i just want something that sounds decent when i have chores to do around the computer that doesn't require wires dangling from my head.

something under $300. i have no amp in mind special for these other than a corda move, can that be used between the laptop and speakers?

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wireless headphones maybe?

otherwise I'd probably suggest the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, and an obligatory mention of "Swans" before I get flamed (I think they're junk though!)

*FLAMES BOB ANYWAYS* lol

if you just want "decent" speakers and dont mind browsing around a bit, i bought a pair of bookshelf speakers + a used home theater receiver for less than $100 on craigslist. sounds good enough for me while im doing chores!

but if you're lazy, i also have a pair of audioengine a5 that i like a bit... they cost me around $250 online. they have a built in amp and everything you'll need in one box. ez plug and play and you're done!

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*FLAMES BOB ANYWAYS* lol
but if you're lazy, i also have a pair of audioengine a5 that i like a bit... they cost me around $250 online. they have a built in amp and everything you'll need in one box. ez plug and play and you're done!

Where did you find the A5s for $250, please?

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you find the A5s for $250, please?

i bought them at a website called provantage... seems like they upped the price a bit from a couple of months ago... lol.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 12
I too recommend the Audioengine A5, however you can also give the nEar 04 a go. Both of them are active speakers, so setting them up is a breeze.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 12
If you look for some decent but cheap speaker take a look into the Logitech X-140 (active speakers with bass/treble adjust in one). Should be around 40-50$. I would prefer them over some JBL spot or the Bose for laptop.
Why? The Logitech do have some good bass, mids sound full and clear. The highs could be a bit more precise, but its still okay. The JBL spot do massive bass but lack mids, just like the Bose system which can be yours for 300$!!

And please, don't let the price tag fool you. Visit the next store and take a good record with you to test them. You will be astounded what these are capable of!

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by musician /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look for some decent but cheap speaker take a look into the Logitech X-140 (active speakers with bass/treble adjust in one). Should be around 40-50$. I would prefer them over some JBL spot or the Bose for laptop.
Why? The Logitech do have some good bass, mids sound full and clear. The highs could be a bit more precise, but its still okay. The JBL spot do massive bass but lack mids, just like the Bose system which can be yours for 300$!!

And please, don't let the price tag fool you. Visit the next store and take a good record with you to test them. You will be astounded what these are capable of!

wow

If you think that the logitechs have good mids, your next stop needs to be for a hearing test. You must have some bad wiring man. No offense, I really hope you find yourself with better than that in the future.

For $300, you can buy a refurb or maybe new Onkyo 505(ebay, audiogon, etc) and a good pair of Energy speakers from audioadvisor. That effectively will destroy anything else for the $$. A decent Energy sub is $100 now btw.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 12
I think the A2 should be pretty good if you're just gonna be around your computer. If you're gonna use them 5% of the time, then there's not really a need to buy anything too big or too expensive.

I have a receiver and bookshelf paradigms right next to me but sometimes i feel that if it's something that i'll listen to for a lil bit, the A2's are good enough. the highs are pretty clean and mids are fine to me. the only thing that i'm missing is the bass but i guess it's not very fair to compare with subwoofer.

that's my 2 cents

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Insignia NSB2111's from bestbuy. Saves you all the trouble of having to order online and not being able to try it, this you can bring home, try it and just give it back if you dont like it. Add a receiver for 100-150 bucks you will be well within your budget.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wireless headphones maybe?

otherwise I'd probably suggest the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, and an obligatory mention of "Swans" before I get flamed (I think they're junk though!)

For the money Klipsch 2.1 's are not bad. Other than hooking up to the HI-FI
that would be my choice.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think that the logitechs have good mids, your next stop needs to be for a hearing test. You must have some bad wiring man. No offense, I really hope you find yourself with better than that in the future.

Well I was going to do such a test, why waste money for a deaf man?
BUT, have you had a test with these? Or are you just citing someone?
The OP said he would listen to music thru his headphones 96% of the times.
He didn't state any specs on his soundcard or setup, so my take was to assume the cheapest solution with the best experience. For 50$ I feel this is a good recommend.
Those BOSE® Computer MusicMonitor speakers are way more expensive but do not deliver any substantially better listening experience for me- if compared to the high price tag of 300$!
How do you think those sound? Better?
Man, am I am getting old or what? Why would I have a bad hearing?!!
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back