Decent sounding PCDP <$100?
Oct 23, 2006 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DDF

100+ Head-Fier
I have the Sony D-NE330 and the sound is *nasty*. Hard papery nasty mids. Anti skip and features are great but its sound is starting to drive me crazy in the office.

Does anyone even make a decent sounding $100 player any more?

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF
I have the Sony D-NE330 and the sound is *nasty*. Hard papery nasty mids. Anti skip and features are great but its sound is starting to drive me crazy in the office.

Does anyone even make a decent sounding $100 player any more?

Unfortunately, there are no PCDP's available these days at any price which sound better than mediocre. That particular Sony rolls off noticeably at both extremes (though not as badly as the high-frequency roll-off of the 2001-2002 model year Sonys), and its midrange response isn't smooth (I've tested that PCDP recently under RMAA 5.x). The D-NE330's two immediate predecessors (D-NE300 and D-NE320) did have a flatter frequency response, though their headphone outs were underpowered.

The few recent Panasonics which did not have "D-Sound" also had a nasty roll-off in the highs. After the Y2K-model SL-CT470/570, Panasonic's sound quality began its downfall. The Panasonics with "D-Sound" all have a strange treble peak near 20kHz - that's similar to the result obtained by improperly recording a Type II cassette tape at the Type I setting!

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF
Maybe his negative view is with the existing phones?

No, I think his review is pretty spot on (though there are some small points I disagree with). When I say 'nice sound' I mean that relatively, in terms of other currently produced PCDPs. The review you linked isn't speaking relatively, but in terms of absolute audio quality, in which I think you'll find all current PCDPs lacking.

Maybe you should consider a desk rig?

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy

Maybe you should consider a desk rig?

That's depressing, I remember when the compact stuff didn't stink so badly. FWIW, my Sony sounds markedy worse than my iRiver Ifp-799.

You may be right. I don't mind springing for a cheap D/A but can a cheap compact transport even be found? I've had luck finding 10 year old $90 Teac and Sony CD players at used shops, but they're all huge. They work great as transports. I also moded my old Sony 5 disc for coax out using some digital logic and Pulse transformers, and its o/p signal (jitter and over/under shoot) blew away a $1k Denon I had on hand.

So, I'll ask the question as: anyone know of a cheap very small cdp with coax or optical out, or one with room to easliy add a coax out mod?

Thanks, Dave

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF
So, I'll ask the question as: anyone know of a cheap very small cdp with coax or optical out, or one with room to easliy add a coax out mod?

That's a much easier question - the iRiver SlimX 550 is currently on a closeout sale at the iRiver store. Only problem is it doesn't come with an adapter, batteries, etc. Also, you can't just plug it into any 4.5 volt AC adapter or it might short out - you have to make sure it's has a regulated power supply. The Sony AC-E45A does the job and is usually stocked at Best Buy.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 12
One of the problems that I have with iriver's that the horrible hiss from the headphone out. With less sensitive phones it's okay, but with IEMs it's very annoying.
frown.gif

I recommend getting some of the older players. Check BestPriceAudioVideo for some discountined Panasonic models. I have a version of the SLS365J and can vouch that it is an excellent sounding player. It has a real lineout, clean headphone out and great battery life. Other people here have also given the SLSX500 good reviews too so that might be worth checking out.
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF

Sony D-NE920 - has lineout and optical out. Newegg.com $85.99.

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Nine
Out of stock, damn.

Anyone know where I can pick up the Sony d-ne920 for under $100 mail order? I tried Froogle and ebay and no one seems to carry this.

I've decided I can't take the d-ne330 any more, and am going with the d-ne920 + modified dac-ah for the desk top.

Thanks,
Dave

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Ordered the Pany 500 and the iRiver whatever both mentioned in this thread. Will compare it to my $19 Memorex from Wally World. I don't think I have $100 in all 3 pcdp's delivered. I can always give one to my nephew. Cheap technology is so much fun
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back