Decent redbook or vinyl source
Jan 5, 2011 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Alu

Headphoneus Supremus
It's been a long time since I've been active in these forums, and I sold every audio component I owned throughout the years.
I'm looking to get back into it now with an HD650 and a suitable amp, probably a decent meier one as I have some experience with those.

My source used to be an M-Audio Transit external soundcard going into a bel canto DAC2, but I'm not looking to get back into PC audio at all.
This time around I feel as though a CD-Player or alternatively a TT would be my best options. When I was looking into CD-Players however,
it turned out that most people use an additional DAC instead of the one that's already in the player.

What I basically want to know is:

1. Is there a decent sounding CD-Player or CD-Player + DAC combo that I can get up to and below 1000GBP?
2. Can I get more value out of a TT when spending that same amount of money? (TT + pickup)

Some sort of synergy with the headphones wouldn't be too bad either. I never owned the 650 previously.

The media doesn't matter to me. I've had my experience with LPs and with CDs.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 2
So I went ahead and bought myself the Corda Symphony for the HD650.

Now I have an opportunity to get a used Meridian 507 CD-Player for a fantastically low price (around 600€).

I read a lot about that one, and every fibre of me wants to get it. My question is: Will an almost 10-year old piece of hardware still hold up?

And does anyone possibly have any input on any other similarly priced CDPs, that would compare to that one?
Also, I almost didn't find any information on the Corda DAC. How does that fare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back