"decent" PPA
Mar 16, 2004 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
how much would the components cost for a decent PPA. PPA is the best of DIY amps right? how hard is it to make? how does it compare to say a gilmore light or perraux?
i would have access to an etching tank, soldering irons, solder, a few capacitators, vacuum forming stuff for a case, maybe some breadboard, switches etc (basic school workshop electronics stuff).

is it possible to make one (ordering from the UK) for about £50?

many thanks to all, i am just getting into this stuff, and dont really wanna waste time making a cmoy (i also dont wanna carry anything around with my ipod). the amp would be used with an m audio revolution soundcard/audigy 2, playing mp3s and aacs of about 192 average bitrate. hopefully driving some cans like the ath a500 and the shure e2s.

many thanks all

)my wallet is hidden in a corner sobbing its heart out bty)

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 9
whoah hold up then. $200 is out of the question at the moment but maybe in the future..........................

how much of a sonic difference is there between pimeta and PPA? am i correct that the only hard thing to do is solder everything together correctly when making amps?

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by 9956
whoah hold up then. $200 is out of the question at the moment but maybe in the future..........................

how much of a sonic difference is there between pimeta and PPA? am i correct that the only hard thing to do is solder everything together correctly when making amps?

Soldering together isn't that big a deal. Choosing the parts to sound best in your situation is somewhat difficult. Fit and finish only comes with practice. Troubleshooting only comes with practice and experience.

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 9
i believe "argh" is correct for that last post.

so what can a pimeta drive well (assuming i upgrade along the line, possibly to HD600 or 595)

choosing parts? surely there all kinda the same (aniticipating shoot down) and one should choose based on price?

Mar 16, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 9
remember, mine is pretty much top line: discrete buffer, Black Gate caps etc.

the PIMETA is a good little amp and will drive the HD600s very nicely. I've also got the previous version of the PIMETA (the META42), and that sounds very nice with the HD600s.

Parts you'll likely have to order from a couple of places; personally I use Rapid Electronics and RS Components. For capacitors, I recommend Panasonic FC or ELNA Stargets from RS. Resistors are less of an issue, just get what suits your budget. The pot for the PIMETA is either an ALPS RK27, which is £8.50 ex. VAT from Rapid, or you can get a Panasonic EVJ from me for £1.80. The ALPS is the better pot, but the EVJ is respectable. If this is your first amp, you could do worse than ordering the AD86*0 from tangent, they sound good and he has a very good price on them. The JFETs you can also get from me in matched sets, although these are also available from RS or Rapid, but you'll have to buy more than you need to match them correctly. The case is entirely up to you. The Hammond you see often here is available from Maplin, although it is quite pricey.

hope that helps,

g

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 9
This is an interesting topic.

Most estimated prices of a PPA are based on building with what I consider (IMHO) premium or near premium componentry.

But what if one were to use only basic componentry - using Tangent's board and a single set of Intersil buffers for starters.

Then populate with low cost resistors instead of the mil-spec grade, standard grade capacitors, inexpensive opamps like the BB OPA2132 and the Panasonic pot.

I suspect you would be able to cut the finished price in half of what most builders experience using the premium stuff.

The sonic benefit of the design would most likely not be severely compromised compared to a Pimeta.

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 9
it depends on how far you decide to cut it back. Looking at the PPA compared to the PIMETA, the single biggest difference is the isolated low current rails. If you could maintain that part of the design, I think you'd go some way to maintaining the PPA sound. Panasonic FC caps aren't particularly expensive, so they could still be used, although generic elcos are only about 8p in the values you need.

I short, you probably could half the cost, but then if you ever want to sell it, a maxed out lower end amp is going to hold its value better than a "high-end" amp with a very skimpy parts set

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back